April Fools Day Joke on us

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday it snowed here most of the day but was melting as fast as it was snowing most of the day. Overnight though it decided to play a trick on us and give us another 5-6 inches of snow on top of the 12 inches or so left from the last storm. I am getting sick of this and need to get back to pruning soon. It definitely is not unheard of around here as we got an almost identical storm last year a week later than this. Of course last year it had been warm for a while and the snow had been gone for a few weeks and pruning was well under way. Here are a couple shots of this year, then last and finally a shot of the little vineyard at home in the distance.

AprilFoolsJoke 001.jpg

snowygrapes 010.jpg

AprilFoolsJoke 004.jpg

Here are a couple more with the vineyard here and some of the trees covered with a bit of snow. As I was done plowing and parked the tractor and walking away a branch snapped out of the tree next to me and came crashing down near my feet, not to mention my head. It was about 8 inches across and 30 feet long or so. That might have left a mark or two.......... The snow was melting off the vines before I got the picture so it wasn't as pretty as earlier.

snowandbar 029.jpg

snowandbar 026.jpg

I ALMOST wish my few grape vines were covered in snow like yours. I still haven't pruned them, and I'm getting nervous that they might come out of dormancy before I do. The plan is to do it today or tomorrow. Getting ready to take my daughter out to lunch, then come home and change the serpentine belt in my truck. Tons of yard work to finish after letting it go all winter, and limbs to get rid of from pruning several fruit trees. Always more to do, than time to do it.

Bob :ib

Back