Apples Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started another batch of Apple Wine yesterday using Apple Juice in place of fresh apples. Both Lucky Leaf and Giant Eagle have juice not from concentrate. I pitched the yeast this AM after rehydrating it and it is fermenting like a crazy fool. I used the recipe for full body apple from Keller's site and then added cinimon sticks , cloves and ginger powder to make it more like the Spiced apple recipe. Cut way back on the cloves this time. Starting SG was 1.086, I'll ferment to dry then make an fpac for re-sweetening.

Can't wait til July to bottle and then at least Sept to drink if it makes it that long.

Excellent Doug. Some fine wines can be made from regular juice like you just did. I have made almost 30 batches of wine and about 80% of them were from pre mixed juice or frozen concentrates. They work fine. As with anything, the better quality the juice, the better the wine.

I hope you went easy on the spices. I have heard quite a few post in here where people wish they would have waited to add the spices at a lter time, it is real easy for them to intensify during the primary and turn out to be way stronger than you wanted. I think some of that has to do though with when you put the spices in. Obviously if you put them in your warm sugar water or hot must, it is going to intensify as it seeps like a tea.

A member in here send me a bottle of his mulled apple cider for christmas. I think he fortified it with brandy, but man, THAT STUFF for sure would cure the common cold. Very nice indeed.

Sounds good though man, I just started a batch from canned pumkins. Only did a gallon as an experiment, I tossed in a cinnamon stick and 3 cloves in it. My wine yeast didn't rehydrate so I ended up using bread yeast. I was wanting to toss in a little ginger when it was done. It is the funjiest looking mix I ever saw, but it smells good and astes good and is fermenting away. This may be one of those wines you drink warm when you want to cure the common cold.

I have seen where adding raisins to an apple juice wine can help inprove the body, not your silly, the wines!LOL

Last edited:
I hope you went easy on the spices. I have heard quite a few post in here where people wish they would have waited to add the spices at a lter time, it is real easy for them to intensify during the primary and turn out to be way stronger than you wanted. I think some of that has to do though with when you put the spices in. Obviously if you put them in your warm sugar water or hot must, it is going to intensify as it seeps like a tea.

The last batch of apple we made from fresh apples called for an ounce of cloves per gallon, I used 2 oz for that batch and the cloves were still on the strong side, this batch I went with 1 1/4 oz. I also cut back on the ginger.

I hope this turns out close to as well as the first batch. I didn't add raisins this time as I forgot to grab them at the store, but this reciped didn't call for them. Next batch I will likely add again. I'll be making a 6 gallon batch in the fall from fresh pressed juice from Trax Farms.

Apple wines are good culprits for the golden raisons or some whit grape juice or concentrate to aid in body which apple lack in. Should be a good batch.

Apple wines are good culprits for the golden raisons or some whit grape juice or concentrate to aid in body which apple lack in. Should be a good batch.

I suppose I could still pick them up and toss them in tomorrow. I only pitched the yeast today. Would you recommend I add them or grape juice. If grape juice, should I get concentrate (frozen I assume and allow to thaw) or just juice from grocery?

I can get that but not until Tuesday as our local shop isn't open til then. Do you think it will be to late to pick up at that point? How should I dilute. I started at 1.086 sg with apple and added sugars and have about 3.5 gallons. I have a 5 gallon carboy if I need to increase total volume to that but fermentation has started or should I add all or part of the liter of conventrate to the mix as is?

F Y I ,
If you have a COSTCO near you I just picked up 6 gallons of 100% White Cranberry Peach juice. I already have it fermenting. I will add a f-pac of steamed Peach and back sweeten. I made this 2-3 years ago and SWMBO liked it and asked me "make more". :dg = :d

Quite frankly Doug i wouldn't worry about it on this batch, start another and tweak that one arond. What you have working sounds like its happy, leave it alone. You will never be frownded upon in here for having more than one batch going at a time.

Troy

Say Troy,
What about me??? I always have 20+ going at any given time... LOL hic hic :dg :dg = :d

BTW I have a club member that has over 30 carboys going

You could just add a frozen concentrate to this one or leave it alone and keep it in mind for the next one. Almost all fruit wines will benefit from added body as I aid before. I wouldnt go adding any non concentrate as it will require too much and dilute your sg and the flavor.

F Y I ,
If you have a COSTCO near you I just picked up 6 gallons of 100% White Cranberry Peach juice. I already have it fermenting. I will add a f-pac of steamed Peach and back sweeten. I made this 2-3 years ago and SWMBO liked it and asked me "make more". :dg = :d

That sounds like a good combo, what was the cost on the cranberry peach there? I do have a costco close by.

Quite frankly Doug i wouldn't worry about it on this batch, start another and tweak that one arond. What you have working sounds like its happy, leave it alone. You will never be frownded upon in here for having more than one batch going at a time.

Troy

It is fermenting quite nicely now. Lots of fizzies going on.....:b

Tom,

What do you do with all of the wine you have aging? Do you sell it or just give it to friends?

LOL we DRINK it ! :dg :dg :dg

We drink 2-3 a day. We also have people "Donate" for the further testing of my hobby. I make only the max allowed by law 1,000 bottles.

I'm so glad we have no maximum on the number of bottles allowed here. I've just reached 3000. Lol.
We can store as much as we like but we are not allowed to sell or export it without license.

No, it has been steadily building over several years but is increasing quicker now as I can't drink the stuff for a while. Lol.

OK . Here you can only MAKE 200 gallons (1,000 bottles)per Year. This is what I make per year.. LOL :dg :dg

Oh ok. I thought you meant that was all you were allowed to store. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Latest posts

Back