apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dellab

Junior
Reaction score
I am looking for an excellent, simple recipe for german-style apple wine using fresh apples, thanks.

You want Ed Wort's Apfelwein.

Also, you should go to the "Introductions" thread and tell us a little about yourself and maybe a little about what you are looking to achieve with your winemaking.

And my old stand-by...
Welcome to the forums, the folks here are a wealth of knowledge and will answer most any question you ask, but because we have members from all over the world you may find times when not many people are on and you may have to wait for an answer. During these times i suggest using the search function. While it is not the best it is a great way to pass time while waiting for your questions to be answered, or better yet a way to answer questions yourself, or even better better yet a way to know what to ask.
Also, at the bottom of most search results you will find "Similar Threads", which are links that the search engine has deemed are alot like the search you have posed. You can get lost for hours, "chain linking" off of your search.

Again, Welcome and have fun.

dellab, welcome to the forum and what I did for my apple wine in the past was press my fruit, add a few pears for flavor. Took the juice and added sugar water to reach my s.g. then treat it like juice to ferment.

This season I will not be adding water just sugar so I will need additional juice to make 5+ gallons. I did add cinnamon sticks to the carboy for aging. My yeast was Lalvin 1118

I sweetened to 2 different levels. One sweet and one semi sweet.

calculators, Wine Logs, and Yeast Charts apple wine

Really your post is infrmative for all wine lovers:h

I'm not an expert in wine making but I know a place where you could learn lot of wine recipe including the recipe that you are looking for. Just search for winemaking jackkeller in Google and you can find lot of recipes there.

dellab, welcome to the forum and what I did for my apple wine in the past was press my fruit, add a few pears for flavor. Took the juice and added sugar water to reach my s.g. then treat it like juice to ferment.

I am proud of you Steve. :sm

This is just like I did it 2 years ago.

You could however replace sugar by honey and it will give you an excellent cyser: http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/10/cyser.html

Luc

What would be the ratio when replacing sugar with honey. it can't be 1:1. is it?

UBG you beat me to it. What is the ratio or do I simple use honey to raise my s.g.? Does it need to be warmed first? Is there a specific honey used? Like from distempered bees:)

Luc you gat my mind thinking all night. I have 6 gallons of apple cider waiting to be used.

I just posted an answer to this in another thread, but I will repeat that here.

Table sugar is pure 100% sugar.

Honey is not.
Honey consists for about 10% of water.

So the calculations in the metric system are easily done, but not so
in the hell of cups pounds and other prehistoric measurements.

Therefore I give you a simple rule: add about 10% more honey as you would add sugar.
That would compensate for the water contained in the honey.

Wether you should heat the honey or not is a matter of personal choice.
Heating can alter some flavors.
I personally never heat the honey.
I do dissolve it in some lukewarm water.

Honey contains soo much sugar that almost no bacteria or fungi can survive.
So from a sanitation point of view heating is not needed.

Luc

I just posted an answer to this in another thread, but I will repeat that here.

Table sugar is pure 100% sugar.

Honey is not.
Honey consists for about 10% of water.

So the calculations in the metric system are easily done, but not so
in the hell of cups pounds and other prehistoric measurements.

Therefore I give you a simple rule: add about 10% more honey as you would add sugar.
That would compensate for the water contained in the honey.

Wether you should heat the honey or not is a matter of personal choice.
Heating can alter some flavors.
I personally never heat the honey.
I do dissolve it in some lukewarm water.

Honey contains soo much sugar that almost no bacteria or fungi can survive.
So from a sanitation point of view heating is not needed.

Luc

Thanks. I'll start that soon. Another carboy. Whooo Hooo!

apple wine...

:unot sure about fresh apples but senica frozen concentrate is great finished product taste like a good chard. drop an email if still looking:u
I am looking for an excellent, simple recipe for german-style apple wine using fresh apples, thanks.

Apple Wine

An easy recipe using less juice with nice balance

Using tart apples (not too ripe)
chop apples and cover with water
stir in pectic enzyme and wine acids
let sit for 2 -3 days
stirring often

Add chopped raisins (2lbs per 5G.)
apple juice (2G. per 5G.)
Balance with sugar (I am going to try this with honey this summer)

champagne yeast

stir 3 to 4 times a day

after foaming calms down
siphon out liquor or press
into carboy

needs 2 yrs to age

:)

For a gallon of apple cider, how much maple sugar in ounces should you use. I did a half with 8.5 but I have no idea if that was a great choice.

Latest posts

Back