Apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ladeda

Junior
Reaction score
I am making crab and regular apple wine and was going to add the yeast.Tested it before that with the hydrometer and it shows 1.100 already. I thought it should read 1.000 prior to the year. Am I in trouble already with my wine project?

No trouble.
The hydrometer measures the specific gravity (density) of a liquid. Plain water will give a reading of 1.000. As sugar is added the number will increase. Your reading of 1.100 (if correct) says there's already a boatload of sugar and no need to add more. If it ferments completely you're looking at an ABV of 13% or more.

This is an excellent example of why it's not good practice to blindly follow a recipe - something we've all probably done early on.

Good luck!

No trouble.
The hydrometer measures the specific gravity (density) of a liquid. Plain water will give a reading of 1.000. As sugar is added the number will increase. Your reading of 1.100 (if correct) says there's already a boatload of sugar and no need to add more. If it ferments completely you're looking at an ABV of 13% or more.

This is an excellent example of why it's not good practice to blindly follow a recipe - something we've all probably done early on.

Good luck!
Thanks! That makes me feel better!!

I am making crab and regular apple wine and was going to add the yeast.Tested it before that with the hydrometer and it shows 1.100 already. I thought it should read 1.000 prior to the year. Am I in trouble already with my wine project?
1.100 is a good starting point… carry on!

I’ve bumped some up close to 1.150. That’s some hi-test wine. I probably won’t do that again as it takes a lot of back sweetening to smooth it out and I’m not much of a sweet wine drinker anymore.

Latest posts

Back