APPLE WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used ground cinnamon once. Worked fine, but as the wine aged as in sat in the bottles, the cinnamon fell out. It stayed in suspension, could not see it as the wine was clear as a bell when bottled but every bottle had the cinnamon fall out after a period of time. Guess what I am trying to say is use the sticks insttead of the powder. Arne.
ok, that's not good, so since my cinnamon is sticks and already in the ferment that's that',,, but my ground all spice is here, i done some light reading, and am not adding ground allspice to my apple wine, perhaps to my spare country ribs in the off set stick smoker, and buy the time my whole allspice gets here it will be to late, thank you @Arne , beings I've added pear, banana, cinnamon sticks , this will have to service for this ferment, BUT NOW I HAVE A REASON TO PUT ON 2 RACKS OF RIBS. an\d over drink on wine, and i got @Arne as my scape goat, sorry @Arne when it comes to food I'd throw my dad under the buss,, lol
Dawg

LOL. It didn't hurt the taste any, just kept a dusting falling out of the wine. Didn't want to spook you with this, just to let you know what happened to me. Get them ribs going, if I was a bit closer could help you get rid of the excess. Hmm, spiced apple wine and ribs, doesn't sound too bad at all. Oh,, and the spice apple wine goes good at Christmas, put it in a crock pot and warm it up a bit. Keeps you warm from the inside out. Arne.

LOL. It didn't hurt the taste any, just kept a dusting falling out of the wine. Didn't want to spook you with this, just to let you know what happened to me. Get them ribs going, if I was a bit closer could help you get rid of the excess. Hmm, spiced apple wine and ribs, doesn't sound too bad at all. Oh,, and the spice apple wine goes good at Christmas, put it in a crock pot and warm it up a bit. Keeps you warm from the inside out. Arne.
yes I've been giving thought to mulling a wine for the holidays,,,
Dawg

Order the allspice -- you can use it for bulk aging!

On a tangent, I have a recipe for "Traditional Syrian Shishkebab". I have no idea if it's really traditional, but it's delicious. The original recipe is for lamb, but we've made it with chicken, pork, and beef.

Mix 4 tsp allspice, 2 tsp salt, and 1 tsp black pepper -- I use whole allspice, kosher salt, and black peppercorns, ground in a rotary coffee grinder. If everything is pre-ground and simply mixed, that works fine. [The original recipe calls for 4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, but we found that was too salty.]

Blend spices with 1/2 cup olive oil and use as marinade for 5 to 7 lbs of meat, cut in 1" to 2" cubes. Marinate for at least 2 hours, but overnight produces the best result.

The recipe calls for 3 to 5 lbs of onion, but since only a few of us eat grilled onion, I cut that way back, using 1 or 2 large onions, cut in eighths.

Skewer and grill to desired doneness.
I love Shiskebab. Thanks for the receipe. I will use it with lamb...............................Dizzy Izzy

LOL. It didn't hurt the taste any, just kept a dusting falling out of the wine. Didn't want to spook you with this, just to let you know what happened to me. Get them ribs going, if I was a bit closer could help you get rid of the excess. Hmm, spiced apple wine and ribs, doesn't sound too bad at all. Oh,, and the spice apple wine goes good at Christmas, put it in a crock pot and warm it up a bit. Keeps you warm from the inside out. Arne.ce
at this point of the ferment, would not i be better off to wait till i rack ? , then count & divide my allspice little fruits and drop equal numbers into each carboy for the first 3 months of bulk aging, the 2 ounces of cinnamon seems light, but come bottling time when i back sweeten i believe the cinnamon will be more pronounced, as will the all spice,,, i ordered whole allspice..
Dawg

welp a few more days and i'll be racking to secondary's,,, i believe next time I'll double my cinnamon sticks, but I'll hang back on that train of thought till i see how this ages, the taste so far is not unpleasant, gives me wonderment of what in a year it will taste like,
Dawg

You can add the cinnamon sticks to secondary. Arne.
I'm going to get me a small digital scale, i had to put it in carboys today, limited out my ABV, by accident :slp ,, tonight, and my all spice and dried crabapples came in to day, so i got to divide every thing into 4 carboys, i always run a little hot, but this is the first time i forgot and ran it up to hot, jezze, was not trying that at all on a spicy apple, I got all caught up in the cinnamon-allspice aspect of it, well this will be my first ever adding after fermenting, so soon as i get them scales so all 4 come out more/less the same,
Question @Arne if you don't mind, i had added 2 ounce cinnamon sticks, but it does not come thru as much as i want, should i add my all spice, wait for 3 months , then decide if i need more cinnamon sticks, i am wondering if the all spice help out the cinnamon first,
Thank You
Dawg

Great question, but don't think I can help you much. I would put the allspice in, wait and see how it comes out, then add some more cinnamon if it needs it. Just guessin, but that is how it would be done around here. Arne.

I agree with @Arne. The allspice adds a completely different flavor, so I'd add it now. Later, if the blended flavors isn't what you want, add more cinnamon.

Reading various posts have given me the idea to make a gallon of pumpkin wine, flavored with pumpkin pie spice. I blend my own spice, using one of several recipes, depending on which one I can find when I need to make more.

OK, i got me a conundrum,, 3-4 days ago my apple was still showing signs of ferment, i used 80 lb apples and for my liquid i used apple juice, so i racked into 4#-6 gallon carboys and some gal,, half gal and pints for toping off, nothing i don't do routinely, so today i went to check airlocks, I've got several carboys bulk aging, now on this spiced apple the first carboy i racked has a couple inches on the bottom,, the second has about 5 inches on bottom, but carboys 3 & 4 are apple sauce clear to the top, carboy 3 has a 2 inch of wine but it is in the middle of the carboy, i have used PE before during and added more just before i racked, it was bubbling when i racked but not one bubble since, and since i added more PE at racking, I'll not add more for about 3 months from now, when time comes I'll use liquid enzyme for the first time ever, I've never dealt with this before, so I'm going with lots of time, does anyone see any pitfalls? if in 3 months i am still the king of apple sauce, will adding a heavy load of liquid pectic enzyme effect the taste, any suggestions welcome :a1
Dawg

OK, i got me a conundrum,, 3-4 days ago my apple was still showing signs of ferment, i used 80 lb apples and for my liquid i used apple juice, so i racked into 4#-6 gallon carboys and some gal,, half gal and pints for toping off, nothing i don't do routinely, so today i went to check airlocks, I've got several carboys bulk aging, now on this spiced apple the first carboy i racked has a couple inches on the bottom,, the second has about 5 inches on bottom, but carboys 3 & 4 are apple sauce clear to the top, carboy 3 has a 2 inch of wine but it is in the middle of the carboy, i have used PE before during and added more just before i racked, it was bubbling when i racked but not one bubble since, and since i added more PE at racking, I'll not add more for about 3 months from now, when time comes I'll use liquid enzyme for the first time ever, I've never dealt with this before, so I'm going with lots of time, does anyone see any pitfalls? if in 3 months i am still the king of apple sauce, will adding a heavy load of liquid pectic enzyme effect the taste, any suggestions welcome :a1
Dawg
One of the beautiful properties of pectic enzyme, is that it can be added at anytime, in any reasonable quantity, and it will not taint your wine.

I should clarify for the extremists, it cannot be overdosed if used reasonably. If you add a 1 pound bag to a 6 gallon carboy, you’re on your own cowboy.

What is the SG on all carboys? I assume it's below 1.000, but best to ask.

I'd dose all batches that have suspended solids with a regular dose of pectic enzyme. As @Johnd said, it won't harm the wines.

Recently I've researched lees, to understand the difference between gross and fine lees. Gross lees is the grape solids, which supposedly start to decompose relatively quickly after precipitation. Apparently this doesn't happen while the solids are suspended, but after the sediment drops, decomposition starts. While everything I read regarded grape wine, I don't see that other fruits and/or vegetables are any different.

There was no consensus regarding when decomposition starts, ranging from immediately to a few weeks. I have no idea who is right, but I figure if I get the wine off the lees relatively quickly, it doesn't matter.

For that reason, I'd not leave the wine for months with fruit solids. Hit 'em all with pectic, and any that don't start clearing within 3 to 4 days, hit 'em with a fining agent.

Just to add to what @winemaker81 said above, if AF has completed, the only good reason that I can think of that you still have suspended solids, is CO2 gas still remaining in the must, clinging to the particles and keeping them suspended. I've had similar problems with strawberry wines, which has a lot of sediment, a quick degassing with my vacuuum pump has caused the lees to fall out of suspension very quickly. Once those solids settle, and they sound like they are gross lees, I wouldn't leave the wine sitting on them any more than a few days. Probably not any earthshattering info for you since you're a seasoned fruit winemaker, but just thought I'd add my two cents.......................

Latest posts

Back