APPLE WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you adding besides? The honey crisp here also got prarie fire crab and after I rack the plan is to put in some heated honey (brouchet)
20 lbs pear, 5 lbs banana and cinnimon stix, just aint sure how much sticks, i want it,, so it comes across as does that have cinnimon in it, tomorrow since we've had 4 chilly nights, i'm going to check, my yellow sargents crabapple bushes, i'll be needing right about 5 lbs. so the tail will just slighltly have a very light pop to it, on the finish. all my country wines i go for straight off the tree/bush taste, but apple,, pear,, banana , i like to give then a very light and pleasing complexity to all them 3,
Dawg

Last time I made metheglin, for a 6 gallon batch I flavored it with 6 sticks cinnamon, 12 whole cloves, and 12 whole allspice. I put the spices in a cheesecloth hops bag, tied it off, put it in a plastic sandwich bag, and gently beat it flat with a hammer. Took the hops bag out of the plastic and dropped it in the fermenter.

I didn't get as much flavor from the spices as I wanted, although I used them only during fermentation. I've tossed around a couple of ideas for next time, some crazier than others. I'm leaning towards grinding the spices finely, adding half before fermentation, and the other half after racking off the gross lees. I'll need to taste the mead weekly and rack off the fine lees when it's "right".

It sounds like you'll have 20+ gallons. You might grind the cinnamon and add 2 to 4 Tbsp during fermentation. If it's not enough flavor, add more during bulk aging. I'm totally guessing on quantities, and am thinking about how many Tbsp a ground stick makes.

Last edited:
Last time I made metheglin, for a 6 gallon batch I flavored it with 6 sticks cinnamon, 12 whole cloves, and 12 whole allspice. I put the spices in a cheesecloth hops bag, tied it off, put it in a plastic sandwich bag, and gently beat it flat with a hammer. Took the hops bag out of the plastic and dropped it in the fermenter.

I didn't get as much flavor from the spices as I wanted, although I used them only during fermentation. I've tossed around a couple of ideas for next time, some crazier than others. I'm leaning towards grinding the spices finely, adding half before fermentation, and the other half after racking off the gross lees. I'll need to taste the mead weekly and rack off the fine lees when it's "right".

It sounds like you'll have 20+ gallons. You might grind the cinnamon and add 2 to 4 Tbsp during fermentation. If it's not enough flavor, add more during bulk aging. I'm totally guessing on quantities, and am thinking about how many Tbsp a ground stick makes.
oh allspice sounds good, i wish i'd of thought to get some of that, where i live in the foothills of the Ozarks, everything must be ordered, shoot my closest town has Zero traffic lights, so i have to order what i need ahead of time, shoot 18 mile to closest traffic light, closest mall 47 miles... so besides the pears, and touch of banana, i got a few pounds of crabapples and cinnamon sticks from sir lanker,,

Order the allspice -- you can use it for bulk aging!

On a tangent, I have a recipe for "Traditional Syrian Shishkebab". I have no idea if it's really traditional, but it's delicious. The original recipe is for lamb, but we've made it with chicken, pork, and beef.

Mix 4 tsp allspice, 2 tsp salt, and 1 tsp black pepper -- I use whole allspice, kosher salt, and black peppercorns, ground in a rotary coffee grinder. If everything is pre-ground and simply mixed, that works fine. [The original recipe calls for 4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, but we found that was too salty.]

Blend spices with 1/2 cup olive oil and use as marinade for 5 to 7 lbs of meat, cut in 1" to 2" cubes. Marinate for at least 2 hours, but overnight produces the best result.

The recipe calls for 3 to 5 lbs of onion, but since only a few of us eat grilled onion, I cut that way back, using 1 or 2 large onions, cut in eighths.

Skewer and grill to desired doneness.

ok, I ordered some fresh ground organic allspice, since i will have at very least 4#-6gal carboys not counting several smaller jugs for topping off with, 1 carboy will have allspice to see how it goes, all carboys will have cinnamon and crab apple in them, but allspice intrigued me , i love cooked apple with allspice and cinnamon, so if i can replicate that, i will be a very happy camper, a tip of my hat to you @winemaker81 ,,,
Dawg

ok pectic doing its job great, ferment bubbling along, cinnamon sticks came in today , i added 2 ounces, of cinnamon cut up, into 18 gallon apple juice, and 80 pound honey crisp apples, 20 pounds of pear, 5 pounds banana, waiting on my all spice to come in, keeping ferment slowed down by keeping temp in upper 50's to lower 60's,
Dawg

even with my limited palate , due to tracheostomy, i popped the lid on my brute trash/ferment bucket and the entire room filled with a cinnamon apple smell even i could perceive ,, punched cap down and stirred, allspice should be here in 2 days at most, i get it added then i can leave the door open and let the ferment do it's thing,,, and I'll leave the lid loose, man if this tastes anywhere like it smells I'll be extremely elated to say the least,,,
Dawg

I used ground cinnamon once. Worked fine, but as the wine aged as in sat in the bottles, the cinnamon fell out. It stayed in suspension, could not see it as the wine was clear as a bell when bottled but every bottle had the cinnamon fall out after a period of time. Guess what I am trying to say is use the sticks insttead of the powder. Arne.

I used ground cinnamon once. Worked fine, but as the wine aged as in sat in the bottles, the cinnamon fell out. It stayed in suspension, could not see it as the wine was clear as a bell when bottled but every bottle had the cinnamon fall out after a period of time. Guess what I am trying to say is use the sticks insttead of the powder. Arne.
yes i used sticks on the cinnamon just busted them down with scissors some, but now, I'm worried about the allspice because i ordered it ground, any clue about the allspice?
Dawg

Latest posts

Back