Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilDarby

Reaction score
That`ll teach me, spent ages looking up recipes (late at night) typed them out only to realise it was for the wrong wine, so, decided to cut the post and paste it here.

Looks like this old post has been resurrected, any how, I promised to add some old recipes from books I have and neglected to do so, having just dug out the books Ill add them now.

The First is from Easy made wine and country drinks originally printed in 1950 (so its in imperial uk measures) and is for one uk gallon or 4.5 litres.

3 1/2 pounds of cooking apples (1.6 kg)
2 1/2 pounds of sugar (1.1 kg)
one gallon of water (4.5 litres)
2 lemons
1 orange

yeast nutrient
pectic enzyme

yeast of your choice.

Wash the apples, cut out any bad bits, do not peel or core, but put through a mincer, then add the water only.

Put in a bucket for a week stirring daily, after a week strain the contents into a fresh container through muslim (a sieve, or similar)

add the sugar, the juice of two lemons and grated lemon rind, also the orange, stir well until the sugar dissolves, add the yeast, nutrient and pectolytic enzyme, then leave 24 hours, strain it again and add the remaining juice to a fermenting jar.

According to the book its clear and ready to drink in 4 months.

Recipe two is from first steps in winemaking by c j j Berry (an old classic book) First printed in 1977.

The recipe is for one uk imperial gallon, equivalent to 4.5 litres.

Apples 6 pounds (2.7 kg)
Sugar 3 pounds (1.35 kg)

Chopped Raisins 1/2 pound (0.23 kg)
Or White grape concentrate 1/2 pint (0.28 litres)

Water one uk Gallon (4.5 Litres)
One Lemon.

Yeast Nutrient

Plus yeast of choice.

(C J J Berry also, believes a sauternes yeast is an improvement over normal yeast)

Wash and cut up the apples, including brown patches (ie) don't cut them out, you can also, include windfalls.

Simmer for 10 to 15 mins in one gallon of water, when cool enough to handle, strain onto the sugar and thinly peeled rind of the lemon, stir well.

When look warm add the lemon juice, the yeast and nutrient, as well as the white grape concentrate (If you use Raisins see below).

Cover and leave for 24 hours, in a warm place then pour into a fermenting jar and cover with 3 layers of clean nylon material (I presume he meant stockings) or insert an airlock.

Leave to Ferment for 4 weeks, then siphon off into a fresh dry storage jar, If your using chopped raisins now is the time to add them.

Leave 6 months to mature before bottling.

Im not going to come back to this post often, its intended as a rough guide for an apple wine, from 2 old text books for anyone interested in old style traditional english type wine drinks, bearing in mind England has a massive cider following.

Last edited:
You really should not be adding water or white grape concentrate to an apple wine. Apples are not that heavy of a flavor and adding water will thin the taste, adding another flavor will mask most of the apple flavor. Also add enough sugar to bring your sg to 1.080 - 1.090.

I added apple cider to my apple wine last year, and it came out great. My neighbors love it and want to work out something, where they can get a case of the wine.

Latest posts

Back