apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel

Junior
Reaction score
first of all thanks for the great advice on the muscadine wine. it turned out very good it is settling out very nice. going to try apples with same recipie and need some advice on crushing apples. has anyone every made apple wine from fruit? if so any and all advice would be very much appreciated

i dont know anything about specific gravity and using it to make wine. we have a recipie that was passed down through the family and follows as:

3 qts uncrushed fruit (any fruit will do)
9 lbs sugar
3 gals. water
2 envelopes flieshmans yeast (wine yeast was substituted)

disolve sugar in 1 gal of water. cool to luke warm and put in fermenter. crush fruit and add to sugar water. add remaining water. disolve yeast in a juice glass full of luke warm water and stir into fruit and sugar water. place under air lock and ferment for 1 month. strain and bottle store in a cool dark place.

note: Fermentation best in temp between 68-72 degrees

three batches were made one with muscadine, one with scuppernong, and one an equal mix of both

we altered this recipie by adding campden tablets after about 35 days (4 tablets for approximately 4 gallons of wine)
it was then put under air lock for 1 week to settle. it is now very clear and tastes very good. i plan on giving it a couple more days and then bottling it after stoping fermentation. i am not looking to make a wine that will win the biggest competion in france but just trying to have fun with fruit, and enjoy the furits of our labor:b any input that doesnt require a degree in chemistry helps greatly. i have gotten good info from you guys but it is not practical for me

That's an interesting recipe Daniel.

There are a few inherent problems with it, that wouldn't work for me. One thing of particular note.. you can't stop a fermentation.. so please ensure any wines you have already bottled don't explode on you, if they still contain residual sugars. Store them somewhere cold.

Learning to read the specific gravity of your wines takes about a minute and is worthwhile in my opinion.

However, we all make our wines to our own taste.

Let us know how this recipe works out with the apples.

Allie

Last edited:
Apple wine is mostly made with pure juice.

I think you are using far to less fruit for this wine.

Watering down a juice is only needed when the juice is very acidic.
Taste and you will know if this much water is needed.

I believe this recipe will give you a very weak wine.

Luc

how much more fruit should be added????? i am just experimenting and dont plan on letting the wine age. i am from the south and we like a mason jar passed around the camp fire. please elaborate on the amount of frut thought necessary to make a drinkable wine.

like i said we used the same recipie with grapes and that produced a very good sweet wine with a kick.

i dont expect the apples to make as much juice as the grapes

another thing i should say is that we are not wine connoisseurs and to our taste is more of a dessert wine than a dry wine.

we were very pleased with the grape wine and would like the same sweetness with the same alcohol content in the apple wine so please advise if possible

Talking like you are I suspect what your age is?
We here do not make wine for the kick or passing it around in a mason jar. Seams to me you might want to make moon shine not wine.

dont mean to affend you tom, not my intentions at all just looking for advice. as far as the age goes if you are refering to me being underage you are wrong. for the moonshine coment yes i would if it were legal but dont feel like going to jail.

sorry for being rough on you. I had to ask thinking you were underage.

thats okay, understood. we are just trying to use the fruit we have and i dont want to waste it. i dont have asperations of making a fine wine, that is not my forte, nothing against fine wine it is just not for me, not at this point in time. i just hate to see the apples go to waste just as i hated to see the grapes go to waste and that wine turned out good to me. just trying to do this right without investing lots of time and money.

Latest posts

Back