Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my apple wine it finally cleared after I filtered it. I started it 10/22/13, its clear as a bell now.

]
Wow that looks great. Mine is no where near as clear. But we taste tested the other night. It is still really harsh, so we played with back sweetening. We ended up adding 3/4 tsp of simple syrup to 1/2 cup of wine and then it was great! I was pleasantly surprised. But it doesn't look near as clear as yours John,
I hear patience is important to wine making....do you know where I can buy some of that?

Wow that looks great. Mine is no where near as clear. But we taste tested the other night. It is still really harsh, so we played with back sweetening. We ended up adding 3/4 tsp of simple syrup to 1/2 cup of wine and then it was great! I was pleasantly surprised. But it doesn't look near as clear as yours John,
I hear patience is important to wine making....do you know where I can buy some of that?

Lol I would like to buy some also. But it is still bulk aging in the carboy.

I generally add pectic enzyme but I recently read that this can strip flavor from cider or wine. Have you ever done a side by side test to see if pectic enzyme has any deleterious impact on flavor?

No, I was told it was safe. I will do some bench tests on an apple juice wine once I get some of what I have is bottled.

I started my apple wine back in November. Its been racked a few times, Kmeta,, sorbate etc. I did a little taste test today. It's very dry which is fine I haven't back sweetened yet (I may not). The flavor, however, is very very light. It doesn't taste bad at all I used about 10 lbs of apple per gallon for this batch.

Any ideas on how I could improve or enhance the flavor OR will more aging bring out more flavors?

I started my apple wine back in November. Its been racked a few times, Kmeta,, sorbate etc. I did a little taste test today. It's very dry which is fine I haven't back sweetened yet (I may not). The flavor, however, is very very light. It doesn't taste bad at all I used about 10 lbs of apple per gallon for this batch.

Any ideas on how I could improve or enhance the flavor OR will more aging bring out more flavors?

Time will help but, if I am correct you added water? With apple most people use all juice whether fresh pressed or store bought. If you did add water then you will defiantly be lite on flavor. I would suggest thinking about an f-pac (there is a sticky on how to make an f-pac) or an extract. Here is what I use in my Hard Apple Cider. You dont need much 1 Tbls per 5 gal. You might need a little more though. But add it a little at a time. Trust me I know, lol. Add a Tbls and wait a week or so and taste. If you think you need more repeat the process till you got the desired level of flavor.

Let us know how it goes.

RR

Originally Posted by fabrictodyefor
If you find a place that sells it, make sure they offer FedEx Overnight delivery.

yes please as I need it by yesterday:dg

yes definitely as said above an f-pack. I have always added water to mine but always ended up making 2 f-packs. Next time I'm gonna do as region rat says and use all apple. I leave mine age out in the carboy or a jug for atleast a year

Started my batch in mid Oct
Still have it in carboy. I used all apple cider when I back sweetened I used 4 oz of apple con. I took a taste this past Sunday it is awesome.

1395849259056.jpg

1395849274736.jpg

As has already been mentioned you could use a F-pac or as John did, use concentrate. That is what I normally do when using apple or any others that require some more flavor, add in some straight concentrate.

I have 5 gallons of cider i started in October. Nice and clear. Debating if I should backsweeten with a apple juice simmered down or apple juice concentrate. Bakervinyard

Apple juice simmered down and apple juice concentrate are basically the same thing, just one requires a little more work to achieve the other.

I have always used apple juice concentrate to improve the flavor. It seems to be the best of sugar and flavor

Thanks for all the replies. I will try concentrate and see how it goes. I don't want it too sweet. As of late I have been making a lot of fruity/sweet wines like DBSP. My friends are now beaking my chops because they want a dryer, less sweet variety. :D

For some of my wines I back sweeten to a dry version. Weeks later I bottle just 2 gallons worth then back sweeten the 3 remaining gallons a little sweeter.

This way those who like dry wine are happy as those who enjoy a little sweeter version.

Win win

I'm going to go with the concentrate also. Forgot to mention I have 2 batches. 1 is 5 gallons of cider. Another is a mix of cider and apples. Going to carbonate the all cider one for the kids to drink. The other on going to take some and make some apple jack. akervinyard

Opened up a bottle of my 8 month old Apple wine last night, just to give a taste.
I made 1 gallon out of organic apple juice.
Wont bore you with all the ingredients (because I can neither remember and dont have my notes)
but I back sweetened with 1/4 cup of sugar and used about 1/8 cups of med american oak.

the apple wine is dry, I would have preferred just a tough more of sweetness.
There is an after taste and the only way I can describe it is dryness, slight wood & apple core.

but I was pleased and so was my wife!
I will have to try another batch!

:db WTG I haven't tasted mine recently, but I did look at it last night and I need to rack it off the lees again. Mine is only 6 months old, so I'll rack it in the next couple of days and then in a couple of months try it and hopefully I'll be able to report back with good news!

Latest posts

Back