Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They squeezed like marshmallows after they thawed out -
James I typically will let this process go and at the end, run them thru a mesh bag for the initial 1st run and then put them thru the press. Is there an easier way ? There are alot of apples we are talking about !

lol that's some funny looking apples.

OK. My SG went form 1.080ish to just under 1.000. I started to rack into the secondary and noticed little "explosions" and bubbles coming from the bottom of the primary.

Was the fermentation not complete?

I went ahead and finished racking to the secondary anyway.

Now what is the next step?

Do I continue with the typical addition of potassium sorbate/K meta and degas with the drill whip? Then add the clearing agents or am I way off or ahead of myself?

I was planning on back sweetening too.

For some reason I'm all mixed up. :slp

OK. My SG went form 1.080ish to just under 1.000. I started to rack into the secondary and noticed little "explosions" and bubbles coming from the bottom of the primary.

Was the fermentation not complete?

I went ahead and finished racking to the secondary anyway.

Now what is the next step?

Do I continue with the typical addition of potassium sorbate/K meta and degas with the drill whip? Then add the clearing agents or am I way off or ahead of myself?

I was planning on back sweetening too.

For some reason I'm all mixed up. :slp

You are getting ahead of your self. now that it's in the secondary leave it alone for a couple weeks. it probably will drop a half inch or so of sediment. then rack off of the sediment, add K meta and forget about it for 3 months. Rack it again, add K meta and Sorbate, sweeten it, wait another couple weeks then it should be ready to bottle.

Or you could do it like me, I just re-racked one that I started in Sept. 2012. I will probably bottle it sometime around May 2014. I will need the carboy for Chilean juice.

Well I was able to get everything into the secondaries and do a pressing this weekend - They are still are bubbling along - LOL

apple.jpg

Looks nummy Steve. That must have a been a huge undertaking getting all that apple-ish mess cleaned up. But I bet it smelled good.

Looks nummy Steve. That must have a been a huge undertaking getting all that apple-ish mess cleaned up. But I bet it smelled good.

Luckily I had 2 boys and used the pipe idea to pull off alot of the juice - we then take the excess pulp and pt it in the back field and by the next morning - there were the deer eating from it as we are eating breakfast !

It does take alot of apples to make wine ! My primaries are now waiting for the pie pumpkins to thaw --

I ran into a little problem. I did one batch that was supposed to be a 3 gallon batch which after racking is now sitting in a 5 gallon carboy filled to capacity. I'm sure as it drops sediment I will lose some and yield less than the 5 gallons.

However, I also attempted a 6 gallon batch and after removing and pressing the fruit I am left with 3/4 of a 20 gallon primary. That's good!!:h

The problem is my largest secondary is only 6 gallons.

Can the batch be split into 2 separate secondaries? Are there dangers to this?

I would rather not split it for fear of the 2 batches coming out differently.

I'm going to let it sit overnight to let everything settle then rack it to see what the actual yield is. For now I'm just trying to plan for the tomorrow.

You shouldn't need much after you rack off of sediment.
Options
Top off with a similar wine.
Top off with your other wine, won't be that big of a change.
Add a million marbles to offset loss of volume.
Use a variety of carboy sizes.

I suggest you top off with the other wine. Maybe need 2 cups depending upon how much sediment you get.

Anyone have any updates on their apple wines. What stage are you at. Flavor profile, clarity, backsweetened, bottled. I just checked mine 2 days ago, fermented down to .992 nice and clear going to rack to bulk age tomorrow. Bakervinyard

My apple wine has been bulk aging for several months. Still a little cloudy my rack in the next couple of weeks and add some super kleer to it maybe that will clear it up we will see.

Age it 5-6 months. Rack off of any tartaric crystals and misc sediment. Back sweeten to what you like. Remember to add pinch sulfite and sorbate.

Wait a few weeks and bottle. It will be good

John Sparkolloid will clear that fast providing its degraded and at room temperature.

Just a recap of my apple wine, started 10/19, following StAllie's recipe, initial sg at 1.080, racked to carboy on 10/23 sg at 1.000. 10/30 I racked again as there were a lot of lees and sg was .998 and added 2 10" cinnamon sticks. 12/8 racked off lees again into clean carboy and took out cinnamon sticks....sg still at .998 and it tasted very "harsh" at that time. Just letting it sit for now! On the other hand, I made a cranberry/apple began it on 11/29 and thiefed a bottle out of a one gallon carboy the other day cause it is very tasty! Still needs to clear some, but am very pleased with the cranberry/apple!

You are getting ahead of your self. now that it's in the secondary leave it alone for a couple weeks. it probably will drop a half inch or so of sediment. then rack off of the sediment, add K meta and forget about it for 3 months. Rack it again, add K meta and Sorbate, sweeten it, wait another couple weeks then it should be ready to bottle.

Or you could do it like me, I just re-racked one that I started in Sept. 2012. I will probably bottle it sometime around May 2014. I will need the carboy for Chilean juice.

For a 6 gallon batch. How much K meta should I add after racking and then after the second rack? Also, how much sorbate?

I usually keep a written log but I lost it. So I can't remember what to add to my new batch.

1/4 tsp of k-meta and 3 tsp of sorbate should be good for a 6gal batch...

I have a batch of all crabapple aging in the secondary right now. It is slowly clearing!

Latest posts

Back