Apple wine questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Key,

What you are experiencing is the flavor of a young wine.
This wine is still young. I saw from the first posting that you made it at 19 april. Now we are at 22 july. That is just 3 months.
Apple wine will get better after aging. Try tasting again next year around april.

Luc

You can do it either way. If you need to use the carboy though.. you can bottle and it will age ok in there.. you don't normally keep apple wine for years so it's not a major issue.

Allie

Have you added sulfites and sorbate to stop it from refermenting? Fruit wines will take some time to come back around usually. Some wines will taste good when done but will still improve much with time.

I have not added anything to stop fermentation but it has not been fermenting for about 6 weeks. I have been working on clearing it in that time. there has been no activity since adding sugar last night. I was planning on giving it about 3 or 4 weeks in the carboy so any sediment from the sugar can settle before bottling.

oh..

If you haven't stabilised it before adding the sugar.. it may start refermenting.. put an airlock on and keep an eye on it.

Allie

Sulfitesand sorbate are not for stopping a fermentation but for making sure a fermentation does not start again Its very hard to stop a fermentation in progress. Sulfites are mainly used as an anti-oxidant to prevent your wine from getting oxidized.

I always have the airlock in place when I am using the carboy. I will keep an eye on it. I do have dome potassium metabisulfite if that is what you mean by sulfites.

That is what I mean and the other is Potassium Sorbate which prevents refermentation. K-meta is another term for sulfites and so is Campden tablets. there is also NA meta which does the same as k-meta but is sodium instead of potassium.

Latest posts

Back