Apple Wine Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off-the-wall question #83.
While coring and cutting a whole bunch of apples, the first ones done are doing to start to brown from oxidation. When I do apple rings for dehydrating, I throw them in lemon juice water to maintain the color.
Wouldn't that same approach work for the wine apples, to ensure the end result was clearer, and not a dark brown? Or is it even something to consider?
What I do is add some lemon juice to about a gallon of water in a 5-6 gallon bucket. I added the 1/4rd apples to that. then put in 1 gallon zip lock bags and freeze 2-3 days later take out and add to YOUR pantyhose LOL.

OP
That's why I speeled it that way just in case some want to make the "pour" go faster :)

What I do is add some lemon juice to about a gallon of water in a 5-6 gallon bucket. I added the 1/4rd apples to that. then put in 1 gallon zip lock bags and freeze 2-3 days later take out and add to YOUR pantyhose LOL.
That's exactly what I was talking about, and planning to do.
But do you really think I'll need 2 buckets if I'm only doing 3 gallons, vs 6? I guess I won't know until I get the 17-18 pounds of apples in the first bucket, and see if I can add 3 gallons of water with any room to spare.
Allie's recipe was 9# per gallon. You advice above was a little under 6# per gallon. I'm sorta winging it in between.

That's exactly what I was talking about, and planning to do.
But do you really think I'll need 2 buckets if I'm only doing 3 gallons, vs 6? I guess I won't know until I get the 17-18 pounds of apples in the first bucket, and see if I can add 3 gallons of water with any room to spare.
Allie's recipe was 9# per gallon. You advice above was a little under 6# per gallon. I'm sorta winging it in between.
25# will not fit in one bucket. also think of a f-pac and backsweetening later

YOUR words :
Tom, I always sterilize my pantyhose. Never know where they've been, either.

25# will not fit in one bucket. also think of a f-pac and backsweetening later
I was basically going to split your measurements in half. But being quartered, they are going to take up a lot more space than the ground up apples I used in the cider.

I think Midwest means.. add sugar to straight juice and take the SG...don't dilute the juice first.

Allie
I understand. But in all my ignorance and confusion, I didn't add sugar to my cider. I had SG 1.046 without having to add any. From my understanding at the time, just like M says, if I'd raised the SG by adding sugar, I would have been making wine. It ended up very dry, and I had to back sweeten it in the end, so I guess it's 6 to one, half dozen to another.
Allie, IMO you are the Apple Queen here, so understand I'm not disputing anything.
I guess the burning question is: when is it cider, and when is it apple wine?

I understand. But in all my ignorance and confusion, I didn't add sugar to my cider. I had SG 1.046 without having to add any. From my understanding at the time, just like M says, if I'd raised the SG by adding sugar, I would have been making wine. It ended up very dry, and I had to back sweeten it in the end, so I guess it's 6 to one, half dozen to another.
Allie, IMO you are the Apple Queen here, so understand I'm not disputing anything.
I guess the burning question is: when is it cider, and when is it apple wine?

heheh @ apple queen lol

in my opinion it's cider if it's fermented on its own sugars and wine if it's got sugar added.

Allie

G@@D one Allie!

Remember paybacks can be h_ll... :pic

Don't worry OP, I have been in trouble in here so many times they may send us over the side of the cliff together, just make sure you grab a jug before we free fall.

I once almost got beat half to death by a stalk of rhubarb!

Back