Apple Wine Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bad idea
Slice and core, freeze for 2-3 days, put apples in a straining bag and thaw add water AND pectic enzyme.
Okay, let's go back to this (sorry to be such a pest) for a minute. Are you saying to leave the thawed apples in the bag in the primary, without any pressing?

YES!
Let the pectic enzyme do its thing. Trust me Some have called me the king of fresh fruit wine making.

BTW if doing 6 gallons you will need to split it between 2 fermenting buckets. I would use 35 # for 6 gallons and add a f-pac later and back sweeten

YES!
Let the pectic enzyme do its thing. Trust me Some have called me the king of fresh fruit wine making.
Okay! Well, I missed one window. It's been about +6F outside for a week, but now we're having a heat wave up around 35F. I guess I'll go dig a hole in a snowbank and let 'em sit for 3-4 days. If my chicken's water freezes over night, I guess the apples will. Now...what to use for a bag... :?

Go to a GOOD paint store or home center. Look for 5 gallon PAINT strainer bag. USE IT.. simple ..:p

:u After all this I hope U have enough Pectic Enzyme and Sugar and YEAST.. LOL! :snta

:u After all this I hope U have enough Pectic Enzyme and Sugar and YEAST.. LOL!

I'm only going to be doing a 3 gallon batch, and I just got fresh pec enzyme from George. Also some citric acid. My local health food store happened to have some Premier Cuvee yeast, so 10# of sugar and I'm good to go!

You will need Acid Blend to increase acid. Do you have a TA test kit? If not you need one if doing anything other than kits

bad idea
Slice and core, freeze for 2-3 days, put apples in a straining bag and thaw add water AND pectic enzyme. This will break down the cells in the apples. wait 24 hours and add meta and sugar to 1.085 wait 24 hours add yeast

Okay, let's go back to this (sorry to be such a pest) for a minute. Are you saying to leave the thawed apples in the bag in the primary, without any pressing?

YES!

BTW if doing 6 gallons you will need to split it between 2 fermenting buckets. I would use 35 # for 6 gallons and add a f-pac later and back sweeten
Sorry I'm so dense, Tom. Above, are you saying to leave the bag of lees in the primary when adding the meta and sugar? In other things I've read, the bag is pulled and pressed/squeezed before going to that next step.
So the bag of lees is left in the primary the whole time it's fermenting? :?

Well lets just say bag of fruit.. LOL
YES leave it in during fermentation. Rack when gravity around 1.015. Squeeze the bag and get all what left. Toss the "fruit" and if using a painters straining bag ..clean and reuse..

I'll let Tom respond to that since you addressed it to him. But I heard, YES, just let it float around in there till you transfer it to the secondary.

Nylon stockings will work also as a "ferment bag". Just remeber to choose nylons that match the color of your eyes for best results! LOL. Of course, like the paint bag, they too need to be sterilized before using them, never know where that paint straining bag has been.

Well lets just say bag of fruit.. LOL
YES leave it in during fermentation. Rack when gravity around 1.015. Squeeze the bag and get all what left. Toss the "fruit" and if using a painters straining bag ..clean and reuse..

Heretofore known as "bag-o-crap". :h Got my straining bag today, so now all I have to do is psyche myself up to core and split 25# of apples. (3+ gal batch). With my apples, that's a 5 gal bucket full.
Thanks for your patience. I just wanted to get it straight, because your method eliminates two whole steps in the beginning. :b

Troy,
I DID respond look ABOVE your post..
U been drinking?? :dg :dg :dg

OP
You will need 2 buckets to ferment in.
You can make a BIG starter and split it in the 2 buckets or add 1 packet of yeast to each bucket

Here he goes...again.

Off-the-wall question #83.
While coring and cutting a whole bunch of apples, the first ones done are doing to start to brown from oxidation. When I do apple rings for dehydrating, I throw them in lemon juice water to maintain the color.
Wouldn't that same approach work for the wine apples, to ensure the end result was clearer, and not a dark brown? Or is it even something to consider?

Back