apple wine or cider?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dueberry

Junior
Reaction score
I've started off my new adventure making some strawberry wine, and at this time it seems to be going as planed, but now after roaming around this site I think I want to get started on a nother batch of something. So I notice lots of apples still hanging in trees around. So I figured what the heck there free, but I have know idea what kind they will be, so lets just say mut apples.
So is it better to squeeze the apples in a press and then use the juice or is it better to smash them up and then ferment the pulp?
And I almost hate to ask this but..whats the diffrence between wine and hard cider? Also I read a small tid bit that freezing them first is better so do I do that before pressing and/or smashing or after?

Thanks
WD

im no expert but i think the difference in hard cider and wine is that wine is like 9 or 10 % alcholhol or higer and cider is 8% or less.

Ive been told it is better to ferment on the juice rather than the pulp, but i made a batch on pulp and had to add water but am having a hard time clearing it up, i guess from pectic haze, i tried super kleer and still hazy, if you have a way of pressing and got plenty of apples i would deffintly press.

Thanks for help, I plan on picking them this long weekend. I do have access
to a press, but what about freezing? Should I freeze the whole apple for a few days then press them after they thaw?

thanks
WD

if you have the freezer space, yes.. freeze a few days then press.. When I juice apples ( centrifugal juicer) I usually pour the juice into a primary that already has 1 tablespoon of citric acid and 1 teaspoon of pectic enzyme per gallon added. It'll prevent browning and give you a head start with breaking down the pectin.

my apple wines are usually around 12 % and cider between 5 and 7%.

Allie

Latest posts

Back