Apple wine - method

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caroline

Junior
Reaction score
I am making apple wine using a recipe from C.J.Berrys' book. It says to cut up apples & soak in water, add pectic enzyme then after24 hrs add the yeast & leave for several days after which time the must should be strained and then the sugar added & put into demi jonn with airlock. My question is will the fermentation get going with just the apples ,water but no sugar initially?:?

Yes, fermentation should get going without the addition of sugar initially

It's a different name for carboy.

The products at my LHBS that are labeled as demi-johns are usually a slightly different shape, but perform the same function.

A Demi John is usually a carboy that is wrapped in a wicker basket and usually a different shape along with typically of much bigger sizes also. Im not sure I like that method as you would really have to keep track of your sg #'s to know what you are doing. I wouldnt do it that way myself.

That sounds pretty much the same as the recipe I use Caroline. My recipe leaves it on the pulp 5 days before straining and adding the sugar. The wine cleared well and has a good apple flavour to it.

I put all the apples through the grater on the food processor after coring them, it's much quicker and the apples break down a lot more with the pectic enzyme than if they are just cut up and chucked in the primary.

Allie

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. Will add the yeast today. (A demi john is a fermentation vessel, a one gallon plasic container that has a bung in the top into which you fit an airlock. they can be made from glass also. I live in Wales, u.k so I suppose our terminology is a little different. Will let you know how it progressess:h

I made apfelwein once...not a bad apple wine.

google should land you the recipe (likely the recipe will be penned by Ed Wort)

Back