Apple wine fermenting too long ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
I know , patience is the key in this hobby but I’m worried something is going wrong. I’m quite new to the hobby and this is my first Apple wine. I used E1118 yeasts and my SG was 1.086. After 7 weeks in secondary it is still fermenting, bubbles on the surface and bubbles in the airlock. Isn’t it too long considering not that high SG? Carboy is at a constant 67-69F temperature.

I started in October and freaked out a couple times early on because I thought everything happened in a certain way all the time.
It doesn't.
I had a couple "Is it supposed to do this?" posts.

My "Waiting For Godot" blueberry is STILL bubbling after 4+ months. The only explanation I can come up with is that all the yeast left the party except for 2 or 3 and those 2 or 3 are doing all the work. I look at it a couple times a week and that's it.

I had 2 identical gallons of apple wine. Perfectly identical except split into 2 separate gallon jugs. One finished a week before the other. Why? Darned if I know!

My tomato wine went from 1.09 to .991 in 4 days! My fastest ever. Why? Darned if I know!

Things can get weird. Watch the SG. Keep a detailed wine log - you'll be glad you did later on.

Thanks. Yes I keep a log with all the details. It’s maybe my impatience. I will just stop worrying and hope for the best. I try to keep everything sterile and follow common sense in the wine making process but weird things happen

Did you add yeast nutrients to the must? Perhaps the yeasties are in need of a little boost. I’m not sure if that’s one you can try just to see if it helps.

I've just checked the gravity. It's 0.994. The SG was actually 1.092 not 1.086. I've checked my notes when I returned from work. The wine tastes very dry and slightly bitter. No I didn't add yeast nutrients but it looks like the fermentation went pretty smoothly.

I've added 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme per gallon at the beginning. Do you suggest to add it now again. Does pectic enzyme help with clearing the wine? I didn't know about it. How to add it? just dissolve in water? How much?

I've added 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme per gallon at the beginning. Do you suggest to add it now again. Does pectic enzyme help with clearing the wine? I didn't know about it. How to add it? just dissolve in water? How much?
Pectic enzyme before fermentation helps release sugars and speed fermentation. After fermentation it helps clear the wine… I’m not sure of the mechanism here. You can just add it dry and stir or mix it in.

Latest posts

Back