Apple wine fermenting after 0.990?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
I’m still confused about the whole process. I started my apple wine February 9. SG was 1.092. April 18 gravity was 0.090 and was racked with very little lees to airlocked carboys. The carboys are at a relatively constant temperature of about 60°F but still release air every few minutes. Is it an MLF ?

BTW it is an apple wine but I also added 1 lb of raspberries and 2 lbs of strawberries to enhance the color which worked pretty well. Wine is not completely clear yet. I added a double dose of pectic enzyme and it starts to work.

Could be CO2 like FlamingoEmporium said. A good gentle shake of the carboy will release CO2 and it should be obvious.

I bottled my apple wine after 4 months in bulk. Crystal clear, no sediment in bottles. I bottled my strawberry wine at 5 months, crystal clear, bit of sediment showed up in bottles. I learned my lesson.

Thanks. I stirred the wine little. The wine is still not cleared. I bulk age Apple and Strawberry wine. Strawberry wine was started March 2nd. Still not cleared but after adding a double dose of pectic enzyme a week ago looks much better. I'm not rushing. I'm not in the process of fermenting any new wine so carboys can be used for these wines.

Latest posts

Back