Apple Wine Clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a batch of Spiced Apple wine that I made from the recipe on Keller's site. I started the process on November 4 and it has been racked 2 times since transferring out of primary (abt every 4 weeks). Currently sitting in the carboy again with a board under one side (thanks Wade, great idea). There appears to be layer of sediment at the bottom of the carboy again and I can see a definitive line in the wine about 6" down the carboy where the wine is clearer on top and still solids in the lower part of carboy.

My question is, How long before this should clear on it's own. Currently about 2 1/2 months into the process. I was planning on racking again at the end of the month and adding camden tablets accordingly for the 3 gallon batch and allowing to rest in the carboy. I have not stabilized and currently the carboy is sitting on the shelf at the top of our basement steps at a temp of ~60-65. I guess I;m looking for a rough time frame for when it would be clear or when I should consider adding a clarifier if it does not clear in X amount of time.

When I rack, what should I top up with, any recommendations, last time only needed to top up a little so I used a Chardonay that we had. Any other wine recommendations or should I consider toping with apple juice.

I smelled the wine the other day (curiousity) and it smells great, last racking it seemed to have a harsh smell, hard to explain but it smells good now. Looking forward to trying this around Halloween 2010 and maybe a sample or 2 sooner.

Last edited:
Hey fellow Pittsburgher! I to have an apple wine bulk aging. I used a clearing agent so it's nice and clear now. I'm going to rack it once more then add some cinnamon sticks to it.

I would like to see how long that takes to clear on it's own. I would think several months and just rack it every 4-6 weeks to keep it off the sediment.

Maybe we could trade a bottle when their done. My apple wines in the past have always been great. I added some brown sugar this time. Can't wait.

Wine clears better at higher temperature. Get it to 70 to 75. Rack into clean carboy and degas again. My apple is dropping tons of sediment since I used fresh fruit, but it's clearing fairly quick.
You can also add bentonite. two teaspoons will work for a 6 gallon batch. If you're dead set on not useing an additive, follow above a couple times and lots of patience.

Doug,
Both above are right. BUT, did you degas yet?
Get it warmer and add a clearing agent like Isinglass or super kleer. If you plan on adding a f-pac do it now and backsweeten if you want.

Hmmm, getting warmer I may have to rig up a curtain and put a small heater in there. I'm not opposed to using a clearing agent if needed. I was planning on racking eom then again at end of February and then possibly bottle if ready or continue to bulk age(it's in a 3 gallon carboy and I have an extra).

If I wanted to make and add an Fpack how would I go about doing so. I created this batch from scratch with a recipe using Jonathan and Fugi apples. It had cloves,cinnamon sticks, and ginger root added initially. When tasted at after 1st racking there was still a strong clove odor and taste to the wine. Initial SG was ~1.094 and the final femented down to .992 . Base on final SG I will need to back sweeten for sure.

It sat in the kitchen at temps of ~70-74 until about the week before Christmas when I needed my kitchen table for baking. At that time I moved it to the landing and its about 60-65 degrees there. I can place a curtain around the area it is and put a small heater if needed. Is there any harm to allowing to clear at this temp?

Hey fellow Pittsburgher! I to have an apple wine bulk aging. I used a clearing agent so it's nice and clear now. I'm going to rack it once more then add some cinnamon sticks to it.

I would like to see how long that takes to clear on it's own. I would think several months and just rack it every 4-6 weeks to keep it off the sediment.

Maybe we could trade a bottle when their done. My apple wines in the past have always been great. I added some brown sugar this time. Can't wait.

I'm quite new to wine making, but I'd be game for trading if this turns out okay. Wouldn't even consider it if it didn't turn out okay.

Last edited:

Oh, Oh, me too, me too. I have an apple wine and I am willing to trade.

I started this on October 3rd. sg was 1.080, it is now .994, acid at .70% and it is clearing slowly. I plan on letting this set until it clears completely on its own. My next racking isn't until February and then I plan on adding some cinnamon sticks. My last apple I had added cinnamon, cloves and ginger. The cloves were very strong, it did calm done but it took a long time. This time I plan on backsweeten with brown sugar.

Doug look into one of these brew belts, they simply wrap around the carboy and only use about 25W of electricity(juice), pardon the pun. LOL. I haven't used one but many people in here have and they all say great things about them. If I remeber right they are pretty inexpensive, less than $20, cheaper than what you'll spend using an electric heater.

Troy

Oh, Oh, me too, me too. I have an apple wine and I am willing to trade.

I started this on October 3rd. sg was 1.080, it is now .994, acid at .70% and it is clearing slowly. I plan on letting this set until it clears completely on its own. My next racking isn't until February and then I plan on adding some cinnamon sticks. My last apple I had added cinnamon, cloves and ginger. The cloves were very strong, it did calm done but it took a long time. This time I plan on backsweeten with brown sugar.

I actually thought about back sweetening with brown sugar also. I checked my acid and it was ~.54%. On the low end of the fruit wine scale. Cloves were still strong last time I tested.

I figure I'll give it a while, have nothing but time for this one.

I actually thought about back sweetening with brown sugar also. I checked my acid and it was ~.54%. On the low end of the fruit wine scale. Cloves were still strong last time I tested.

I figure I'll give it a while, have nothing but time for this one.

That acid might be a tad too low. Did you add any acid blend? The cloves took a couple of months to calm in my last wine.

Julie

That acid might be a tad too low. Did you add any acid blend? The cloves took a couple of months to calm in my last wine.

Julie

I did add acid blend as per the recipe. I was considering adding more to bring it into the middle of the suggested range. Your suggestions?

Remember.
A recipe is what they did then.
All fruit will change by the year and local. so. when ADDING ACID BLEND.. DON'T unless you do a TA test. That alone can make a huge difference.

I brought up the acid to .70%, I added 3 tsp of acid blend for the 3 gallons of wine. I am also in the process of increasing the heat in the area. I have a ceramic cube heater that only runs if needed and doesn't cost a bunch to run. I'm only heating an area about 2 1/2' W x 4' D x 4 1/2' H. I'll get the temp up to around 70 and then check to see if the brew place has brew belts.

I thought I had read somewhere the brewbelts were not recommended for glass carboys. Is there any truth to that, what is the hazard?

I too am making an six strain red/green apple wine. It's so hazy, all the way to the top. I am about to use my bentonite mixture. Basically I had to boil the bentonite to mix it for two minutes in 2.5 cups of water, and then mix until completely dissolved. I think bentonite is made of weathered volcanic glass, and expands and grabs particulate matter and falls. I believe you use it for two weeks to clear it (I am going to clear it in my primary again and then back into my 5gal glass carboy.)

About to add, will let you know how it works out. I won't be able to see how clear it is, but I will just scoop some up with a glass real quick after the two weeks (trying not to disturb the sediment) and if it's to my liking, I am going to re-rack. I have yet to do an acid test or add my cinnamon, and also plan on adding some brown sugar before I bottle (I'm only at 1 month fermentation so far.)

I too am making an six strain red/green apple wine. It's so hazy, all the way to the top. I am about to use my bentonite mixture. Basically I had to boil the bentonite to mix it for two minutes in 2.5 cups of water, and then mix until completely dissolved. I think bentonite is made of weathered volcanic glass, and expands and grabs particulate matter and falls. I believe you use it for two weeks to clear it (I am going to clear it in my primary again and then back into my 5gal glass carboy.)

About to add, will let you know how it works out. I won't be able to see how clear it is, but I will just scoop some up with a glass real quick after the two weeks (trying not to disturb the sediment) and if it's to my liking, I am going to re-rack. I have yet to do an acid test or add my cinnamon, and also plan on adding some brown sugar before I bottle (I'm only at 1 month fermentation so far.)

Is it done fermenting? I do not have experience with Benonite but I would think you should wait longer than 1 month and I think you should probably make sure fermentation is complete. Also, I am not sure about putting into a fermentor. Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in.

Julie

Went to the brew store to get some other stuff and totally forgot to check to see if they had brew belts, not loss. I have it up to 72 degrees now in an enclosed area. I picked up some brown sugar tonight and will back sweeten at next racking then let sit for a minimum of a month or two prior to bottleing.

What's the best way to get more apple flavor if it's desired? (wife gets to make that decision) Extract or Juice or possibly juice concentrate?

Thanks.

Adding Flavor

Simple,
Get at least 1/2 gal of apple juice and simmer to 1/2 or less than starting volume. Cool and add. This is called a f-pac. Then back sweeten using simple syrup.
You may need to add another clearing agent..

Simple,
Get at least 1/2 gal of apple juice and simmer to 1/2 or less than starting volume. Cool and add. This is called a f-pac. Then back sweeten using simple syrup.
You may need to add another clearing agent..

Good deal on the f-pac. I'll see what is needed after back sweetening as far as clearing agent. Any preferences for clearing agents if needed? Bentonite, sparkolid, etc. I'm still new and learning what all this does and how they react.

I like Isinglass or SupreKleer (2-part)
Spatkolliod will also work. I find it tales a little longer..

I like Isinglass or SupreKleer (2-part)
Spatkolliod will also work. I find it tales a little longer..

Good deal, I actually picked up some SupreKleer last month in the event that I would need it for the Apple. I believe the W.E. Kits come with Chitosan but both I have done so far also had bentonite added early in the process.

What is the logic for adding the bentonite early vs later?

Latest posts

Back