Apple Wine Clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's clearing pretty well so far. I've got to get a stopper to fit my 5 gal mexican carboy...I thing a 7 may work... I'll try to get a pic up. Hopefully it wille ventually look as nice as FFemt's applewine. :)

Thanks for the compliment. Since everything was looking pretty clear I transferred into another carboy again tonight. It tasted like it needed a bit more flavoring so I added another small bit of f-pac and stirred it in. Still crystal clear and I bottled my first bottle with what was left after I extracted to add the f-pac. It's yummy....

Here's the label I created for the apple wine. Hope you like it.

Applewinelable.jpg

I picked up some 375 ml bottles yesterday. When I bottle this I want to put some into the smaller bottles for those times when you don't want a full bottle of wine and also to give away to a few people to try. Will likely bottle towards end of February then let age in the cool basement. I really need to make my wine closet under the basement steps....

I bottled the apple wine last night. All I can say is Oh My......Is this stuff good...... I wish now I would have made a 5 or 6 gallon batch but it was my first scratch batch. I ended up with 12 - 750 ml bottles and 7 - 375ml bottles after the addition of the f-pac. I have to hide several bottles of this to keep us from hitting all of it before we can get another batch going. Next harvest season will definately be a big batch....

Glad it came out good for you.

Thank you... I must say that I am quite impressed with how it turned out being my first scratch batch but, I had a lot of advise from members here. You all can pat yourselves on the back for a job well done.

Thanks to all to offered advise and answered my many questions.

Did the cloves mellow out? and when did you add them in and when did you remove them? about how much cloves did you use? Ive got an appel wine going right now and i started it with cloves and its almost a month old right now and taste quite strongly of cloves.

Did the cloves mellow out? and when did you add them in and when did you remove them? about how much cloves did you use? Ive got an appel wine going right now and i started it with cloves and its almost a month old right now and taste quite strongly of cloves.

My first batch I used the recommended amount of cloves. It was very strong. Each of the 2 batches after I reduced the amount of cloves in half each time and they were only on the juice a week. Very strong clove flavor. The Fpac does help this, I think this 12 gallons I have going now may be the best so far. Clove flavor is there but not prominent and it is mellowing.

I only used 1/4th of the cloves recomended for my spiced apple and I'm pretty happy with it. It isn't over powering but you can definitely taste them. I would imagine that the type (brand) of cloves you use have a major impact on the strength making a recipe online hard to reproduce.

My first batch I used the recommended amount of cloves. It was very strong. Each of the 2 batches after I reduced the amount of cloves in half each time and they were only on the juice a week. Very strong clove flavor. The Fpac does help this, I think this 12 gallons I have going now may be the best so far. Clove flavor is there but not prominent and it is mellowing.

I used 2 tbsp of cloves - but i put mine in a tea bag and place in the primary. I removed this after 3 days - came out just right.

I used 2 tbsp of cloves - but i put mine in a tea bag and place in the primary. I removed this after 3 days - came out just right.

Cloves are very strong and the flavor remains for quite a while. As long as it's not too over powering, I can deal with it. I think next batch the amount will likely get cut a little more.

Cloves are very strong and the flavor remains for quite a while. As long as it's not too over powering, I can deal with it. I think next batch the amount will likely get cut a little more.

How much did you add? And did you just add the cloves directly into the must? If so - try the tea bag - a lot easier to control your exposure.

well that is a lot of cloves, taste it to see how strong it is. Actually I would probably pull the cloves out taste to see if you get any clove taste and if not just add a couple cloves

well that is a lot of cloves, taste it to see how strong it is. Actually I would probably pull the cloves out taste to see if you get any clove taste and if not just add a couple cloves

We used about 2 oz for what started as a 12 1/2 gallon batch. I left them in with fresh ginger for a week. It has been since October and the clove tastes is still there. I haven't back sweetened yet so that will help with the clove taste.

That is why i put them in tea bags and removed after a few days. That clove smell/taste is over powering and can take over pretty easily.

Latest posts

Back