Apple wine anyone?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokalotus

Junior
Reaction score
Today i got my hands on about 90 lbs of Golden delicious apples!
not sure yet what im gonna do with them but i corred, and froze them today i got about 16 1gallon freezer bags full.

I havent found any recipes that i really like, any ideas?
Whats the difference between apple cider and apple wine?

I may be pressing them at a later point in time not sure yet.

Excellent JOK, get more. LOL

I dont know much about his pressing or not. But others have said you can still get a good bang for you buck using apples just the way they are, Seems to me they simmer them in hot water and then press them.

I sure hope someone can tell you more.

Someone told me Wade has an excellent recipe for apple mead. Ask him about that one.

Get all you can!!!!!

Depending on ripeness and brand of apples they contain alot of water. I would bump the # per gal to 7-8.
Slice and core. You will need at least 2 fermentors if doing 6 gal. Add to straining bags and add pectic. I would increase it to 1tsp per gal. Sugar to 1.080. Ck the TA and adjust. I use CDB yeast

Good for you Wade, watch your back. The last several years I used my fruit press and made apple wine. I bought @ 3 bushels of apples, then added "sugar water" to reach my sp. gravity.

Dum a$$ me never thought about mixing my sugar with the apple juice instead of water. My apple wines are really good and I bet they are going to be a lot better if I just use more apples and no water.

I've added cinnamon sticks and sweetened to around 1.018 and also a dryer batch around 1.010 I think. I' let it age about 10 months.

This year I think I'll freeze my apples for a few days to get more juice out of them. After squeezing I add the pulp to the garden.

I have a golden delicious apple tree in my yard. Really good. You may be better if you came across a few other varieties to blend with those apples or maybe even a few pears.

There's an orchard near here that will sell UV pasteurized cider, pressed on site, for ~$6 gallon, or $5.50 if you bring your own vessel. Used it last year to make spiced cider and am planning to make apple wine this year. That's the easiest route if it's available.

The difference between cider and wine is that wine has a higher abv and is further cleared.

Last edited:
I'm no apple expert, but golden delicious wouldn't be my first choice in a wine making apple. But you can't beat the price on yours, so I'd say it's a good score. I think I'd blend in some tart flavorful apples. Like djrockinsteve suggested, I think a blend would really help your outcome. You might even want to try crab apples; they're easy to get and are loaded with flavor.

There's an orchard near here that will sell UV pasteurized cider, pressed on site, for ~$6 gallon, or $5.50 if you bring your own vessel. Used it last year to make spiced cider and am planning to make apple wine this year. The difference between cider and wine is that wine has a higher abv and is further cleared.

The local place around here quoted me $3.00 per gallon if I bring my own container. They said to stop by in October for best juice. I'll be getting some of that from them this year for another 6 gallon batch of apple.

I'm no apple expert, but golden delicious wouldn't be my first choice in a wine making apple. But you can't beat the price on yours, so I'd say it's a good score. I think I'd blend in some tart flavorful apples. Like djrockinsteve suggested, I think a blend would really help your outcome. You might even want to try crab apples; they're easy to get and are loaded with flavor.

Yeah - i used Fuji and Gala apples - so far it has done very well.

well the apples i got are rather dry not juicy enough to drip down your chin so im not sure how much juice i will get

Last year we went up to the Punxy trailer and picked a pick up full of apples. I was so excited until each apple gave me 2 drops of juice. They were bone dry.

I've discovered that wild apples and those in folks backyard are not great for pressing normally. They need lots of water over the season.

As much as I hate it, I buy my apples. Fewer apples but alot more juice.

Wade why not freeze them, then quarter and press them.

Im guessing by the fact you used my name is because of the avatar being used by another member that I usd to use! hehehe You can absolutely freeze apples but they require a lot of room in the freezer due to te amount of apples need and I also would encourage the use of ascorbic acid when cutting them up to prevent browining as apples are so prone to.

well maybe i will forego pressing them as they might not produce much juice i did slice and core the ones ive got done so far. It was actually kinda fun got my girlfriend to help separate cores and bag it all. im gonna try and get some crabapples or other apple to mix with these, but if not im sure im gonna add cinnamon to the batch also for flavor. And who knows i have them in the freezer now because i want to start my blackberry first so i have a few months to decide

I did a story on all methods for processing apples.

You can re-read that here:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/09/appeltje-voor-de-dorst-apple-day.html

The story clearly shows you all possible ways to process apples when you do not owe a press. And as you can see freezing definitely gives the highest gain and best juice.

Do not forget to use pectic enzymes !!!!

I put 5 recipes on my web-lo last year.
I will give you the URL of the last one and you will find references to the others in that story.
Cyser and apple strawberry were in my opinion the best.

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/11/appel-aardbeienwijn-apple.html

Luc

ooh, luc, thank you for that link!
awesome experiment. i was just on the verge of foregoing fresh apples and doing a spiced apple from concentrate. i especially love the color of the juice on the last pic, where the apples were frozen whole/cored...i think it gave a hint as to what ur outcome would be!

i would definitely give this a try joka, and let us know how it goes!!!

Latest posts

Back