Apple wine and mango wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstrick96

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok! I'm two weeks into fermentation of my grocery store juice wines. Still tiny fermentation bubbles going. Have not measured SG since the start. I'll do that in a couple more days.

While that's bubbling away, I want to start another batch. This time, I have a 3-quart jug of organic apple juice. (Gallon jugs seems to be in short supply right now).

I'd like to make an apple wine from the organic apple juice. I'd like to ferment it in the jug. I'll add sugar to make it into a wine instead of a hard cider.

Since this is organic apple juice, will it foam a lot during fermentation? About how much head space should I allow?

Ok! I'm two weeks into fermentation of my grocery store juice wines. Still tiny fermentation bubbles going. Have not measured SG since the start. I'll do that in a couple more days.

While that's bubbling away, I want to start another batch. This time, I have a 3-quart jug of organic apple juice. (Gallon jugs seems to be in short supply right now).

I'd like to make an apple wine from the organic apple juice. I'd like to ferment it in the jug. I'll add sugar to make it into a wine instead of a hard cider.

Since this is organic apple juice, will it foam a lot during fermentation? About how much head space should I allow?
I’m still fairly new but I’ll take a stab. First of all check the SG on your first Batch. 2 weeks should be enough time for fermentation to be near done. SG readings are important.

can you source an open container to ferment in ? In merely needs to be covered by a towel or a loose fitting lid. Oxygen is good for fermentation at the beginning.

if your first batch has a SG reading around 1.010 or lower it would be good to move it to Secondary and then you could use that fermenter for your next batch.
https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/wine-fermenters.75493/

Last edited:
Look at Lowe's or Home Depot for a "Food Safe" 2 gallon bucket. Use that for fermentation and as suggested cover with a cloth. A tight woven cloth will slow gassing off a wee bit since your volume will be low. Remember adding sugar will add volume to as well you should see roughly 3/4 cup volume increase for every cup of sugar added. You could add some frozen apple concentrate as long as it doesn't list sorbate of any variety in the contents.

Are you planning on using "natural" wild yeast for fermentation? The reason being the alcohol tolerance of a wild yeast can vary so you could end up with a lower ABV wine that is sweet instead of fully fermented wine that is dry.

Definitely get a food safe bucket! It will say Food Safe or have the # 2 in a triangle and say HDPE. I bought a 3.5 gallon at Menards for $3.

I made an apple wine last year, 100% juice from my apples. If you ferment in a bottle you WILL be cleaning up a mess daily, if not more.

Are you using a recipe? Pectic enzyme should be used with apples. Probably acid blend as well.

Apples have pectin and pectic enzyme breaks it down. Without it your apple wine will be hazy. No big deal if that doesn't bother you.
Acid helps with shelf life and flavor.

Apple wine is good. I think you'll like it.

Last edited:
Thanks,
I'll be using a wine yeast.

I might try some pectin. I don't mind cloudiness though. I'll look for a 2 gallon bucket. My Home Depot only has 5 gallon buckets so I might order something off of Amazon.

My "grocery store juice" wines turned out pretty good! We're quite pleased with them. One is a cranberry/apple, one is cranberry/cherry, and the third is a mix of the two. All three are pretty good, but my favorite is the cranberry/cherry.

They're good enough to encourage me to continue with the organic apple juice and the mango wines.

I'm getting a couple of 2-gallon food grade buckets today at Lowes. Have my pectic enzyme and other items ready. I expect to get my apple wine started this week. Will probably start the mango wine too. I'll use instructions from Jack Keller's book.

Thanks for the help!

Great news about your wines!!

My 2 cents...

You can't go wrong with apple. I recently started experimenting with adding hot peppers. The apple and some heat really appeals to me.

I bought frozen mango chunks from Costco. Very disappointed in the flavor! Almost bland. It was part of a Dragon Blood so no big disaster. I really want a mango wine and next time I think I'll buy fresh and let them ripen.

I bought frozen mango chunks from Costco. Very disappointed in the flavor! Almost bland. It was part of a Dragon Blood so no big disaster. I really want a mango wine and next time I think I'll buy fresh and let them ripen.
yeah, those yellow chunks they call mango….
I’ve got a plan this year. When I slice mangos for dehydrating and freezing, there’s always some juice and tiny chunks leftover. It’s all going in a freezer bag. I learned to “wring” all the juice off it, for you know what.837A3DFC-697C-4A70-9A47-2357640DC2A0.jpeg
1649688328068.jpeg

Last edited:
yeah, those yellow chunks they call mango….
I’ve got a plan this year. When I slice mangos for dehydrating and freezing, there’s always some juice and tiny chunks leftover. It’s all going in a freezer bag. I learned to “wring” all the juice off it, for you know what.View attachment 86867

So I mention my disappointing store-bought mango chunks and you flaunt, yes flaunt, a picture of a gorgeous fresh mango. You're mean. 😂

So I mention my disappointing store-bought mango chunks and you flaunt, yes flaunt, a picture of a gorgeous fresh mango. You're mean. 😂
🤭. I’ve seen big jars of mango in syrup at Costco. Those might even be better.

they are still tiny this year. Maybe by the end of July.

🤭. I’ve seen big jars of mango in syrup at Costco. Those might even be better.

they are still tiny this year. Maybe by the end of July.
No mango in syrup this past weekend. However...
Bought honey for mead - time for a tangent. Also organic raisins, always useful, and organic pressed pineapple juice and strawberries. Thought that might be a good combination to try.

Here's what I got for my mango wine. Haven't tasted it yet. I'll sneak a taste when I start it fermenting.

AmazonSmile: Iberia Mango Nectar, 33.8 fl. oz., (Pack of 3)

I used to travel to Central and South America pretty regularly. They have mangoes growing naturally everywhere! Must be nice!!
Good luck with the mango wine!
I'll keep that nectar in mind. I've been using fresh ingredients so far but will probably branch out to include nectars and concentrates in time.

The mango wine I just bottled was only a little over 2 lbs of frozen mango and the rest was pretty much water. Thats kind of like the purée you buy. A little mango and some water.

itt tastes wonderful.

the current batch was about half frozen mango and half while grape juice and water.

the ferment is eating the mango really well right now.

Latest posts

Back