Apple Wine 2017

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
404B8D41-2358-4AD1-88B9-6416C69471FC.jpeg 0A38BEF6-33BC-4FB7-8F6C-AE1D2E46FC48.jpeg B9EC8C3C-0B7E-4BC2-9F7C-B933E471AC03.jpeg
I started two different batches of Apple wine each one has a different yeast . They were both started two days ago .

BOB

Hey Arne, you are welcome anytime ! I have been making apple wine the same way with the same yeast the last couple years ( you know if it’s not broken don’t fix it ). I decided this year I would make two batches both identical in every way except for the yeast .

BOB

Might be coming over that way next spring. If we do I will be sure and get ahold of you. Holidays coming up, be safe during them and enjoy them. Arne.

Back in the day in england my friends and i would take a train trip to the country side the farmers would let us into the orchards to pick up any fallen apples for free. That was the easy part getting them home, WELL. Persistence at a young age is easy. Our family ate apple pie for weeks i had apple wine to wash it down. Crush apples or chop as small as possible add enzyme for 3 to 5 days then put in pot with water boil for 15 mins strain. Let cool 75f add champagne yeast when fermentation slows.take 1/2 gal out dissolve 2lb sugar per gal add back to rest let fermentation go till ends, no more co2. Siphon off from dead yeast let sit for several weeks, if it doesnt clear add bentonite. Syphon again. Amount of apples per gal is up to you, i used 3 lbs to gal.

I agree adding water is sacrilege, but when your just starting out and no press this was the only way i could think of to get the apple flavor.

I get fresh pressed apple cider ( from a small local orchard ) that has not been stabilized. I do not add any water, but my first batch ( which was also the very first wine I made ) was 81 quarts chopped apples and some water. It turned out to be very good. It proves you can make good apple wine either way. The most important thing I can offer is to let it age at least a year. This has turned out to be a constant no matter how it is made. It takes a long time for the Apple flavor to come forward.

BOB

I was going to do the same thing tomorrow - which 2 yeasts did you use? I have a Lalvin EC-1118 and a Vintners Harvest SN9 I planned to use.

And since you've apple wine for years - if the ph of the must is 3.18 - do I need to add acid blend?

I used EC 1118 & wyyeast liquid 2424. I usually don’t adjust acid until I have bulk aged my wine for at least 6 months

Latest posts

Back