Apple question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineYooper

Reaction score
I am preparing to head north again after being away for two weeks. Last time I was there my sugar apple tree was starting to drop ripe apples and they may be all gone now so hence my question. I have many other trees on this old farmstead with varieties I know not what. Do you have to use completely ripe fruit for wine or could I use apples that are still on the green side? From readings it sounds like variety is good so I'm thinking unripe may just add more tartness but not so much juice. Quantity to me is not important other than I would have to work harder to get the totals I need. This place must have near 200 trees spread around from the actual plantings and then cow/deer spreading of seeds. I have also planted 6 known trees in the last two years for future fruit and will do more yearly. Next question is can you just use lemon juice to inhibit brownness when cutting or do you need the abscorbic? I'm thinking about bringing my press along to do that up there and not have to bring bulk back. Would that be the right thing to do or is there value to the skins/pulp?

Just got done reading Luc's experiments on the best method's for harvesting apple juice. It looks like I need to clear my small freezer out and bring my press along and plenty of pectic enzyme for the best results. Better plan on being there for a few days as well! Oh well, the things I have to do for great wine, ya what a sacrifice! Hehehe, another week in heaven. The question still remains tho on apple maturity. Yes, I know, natural sugars, taste, age probably means lots. I just hate to miss out on the opportunity. Patience, patience, patience.

Cooking or 'tart' apples are mature at usage, using immature fruit creates bitterness.

That is not to say that you can't experiment with a small addition of immature fruits...it will give a tannin astringency initially, think 'crab apple' additions.. though I can't say how that will balance out after time in the bottle. it will be entirely up to you how you create your recipe.

experimentation is why we are all here. Give it a go and let us know here, what works for you and what doesn't.

we all learn by experience.

Allie

Acidity on unripe fruit is much higher as acidity on ripe fruit.

Meaning.
That if you use unripe fruit there is a chance you will have to water it down to get acidity down.
That implies that all things in the juice will be dilluted: off course acidity but also flavor, tannin, color (if any), sugar levels.

Now sugar, acidity and tannin can be corrected however flavor not.
And that last part should worry you.

So make a test juice from only ripe apples.
Test sugar levels and acidity.
If sugar is high and acidity low you could add juice from unripe apples to get acidity a bit up.

If acidity from the ripe juice is in the range you would like it to be do not add any unripe fruit.

That would be my approach.

By the way, like stated, look here for means to juice apples without a press:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/09/appeltje-voor-de-dorst-apple-day.html
And pick the means that suits you best.

Luc

i am going with ur cored/freezer method luc.
i don't have a press.
yooper, is ur time limited? yes, ur right, patience is the key to this hobby.

Go for it countrygirl.

Just core the apples and leave the skin on. There is a lot
of flavor in the skin.
Freeze them, thaw them, mash them and next let some pectic enzyme do the work. Next press this would give you the most gain and best flavor.

Luc

No my time is not too limited but since it's not my residence, future retirement place, I have to time it right and that's hard to do with the different growing zone. It's kind of like fishing, when I get there and others tell me I should have been there last weekend. The fruit is not that touchy but last time the sugar apple tree was just starting to drop fruit so now two weeks later I suspect most have fallen. This year seems to be an off year so many of the trees have little or no fruit. Lucky for me many of the trees ripen at different times and some are best after the first frost which can happen around Labor Day. With Luc's methods this will probably work well for me since I will be able to gather in stages and core and freeze as I go then transport 20-40# back home.

Back