Apple Pie Wine Spices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronWine

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Just looking for suggestions on my spices for an Apple Pie Wine I started last weekend. The recipe that I'm using calls for using the following per gallon mixed in the secondary after fermentation.
2 Cinnamon Sticks
4 Whole Allspice
2 Whole Nutmeg
¼ tsp. Ginger

Being cautious and trying to find info on this, I notice a few people use about 3 cinnamon sticks total per 6 gallon batch. I'm OK with that. However I've read a few times that Allspice and Nutmeg can overpower the wine quickly. Does anyone have any recommendations on the allspice or nutmeg?

I was going to use only 1 tsp of fresh ginger root, as that seems to be the norm as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Oh and if anyone is curious here is the full recipe (per gallon):
1 Gallon Apple Juice/Apple Cider
2 Cups White Table Sugar
1 lb. Golden Raisins
½ tsp. Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
1 ½ tsp. Acid Blend
1 Satchel Wine Yeast (I'm using Lalvin EC-1118)
2 Cinnamon Sticks (added to secondary)
4 Whole Allspice (added to secondary)
2 Whole Nutmeg (added to secondary)
¼ tsp. Ginger (added to secondary)
½ tsp. Potassium Sorbate
1 Campden Tablet, crushed

Wow, I'd like to try your apple wine. Sounds really tasty.

For mine I only spice with cinnamon sticks in bulk aging. I do however use brown sugar and honey both in primary and for back sweetening + 2 cans apple juice concentrate in back sweetening.

Hi Ironwine. Not sure I would treat seriously any "recipe" that calls for cups of sugar (as opposed to measures sugar by weight) or one that suggests that you add acid blend before you know how acidic the wine will be. And that said, the quantities of nutmeg seems way out of proportion...and 1 lb of raisins? What are they doing? If the wine maker wanted some grape flavor in the wine why raisins? and why the use of a champagne yeast - is that to blow off all the aromatics and flavor? Is this from a wine maker whose recipe has stood the test of popularity from other seasoned wine makers?

Ive made a bit of apple wine.
This recipe wil taste of cinnamon nut meg and allspice. Wouldnt expect any apple coming through if thats a per gallon on tne spice.

Hi Ironwine. Not sure I would treat seriously any "recipe" that calls for cups of sugar (as opposed to measures sugar by weight) or one that suggests that you add acid blend before you know how acidic the wine will be. And that said, the quantities of nutmeg seems way out of proportion...and 1 lb of raisins? What are they doing? If the wine maker wanted some grape flavor in the wine why raisins? and why the use of a champagne yeast - is that to blow off all the aromatics and flavor? Is this from a wine maker whose recipe has stood the test of popularity from other seasoned wine makers?

Just to let you know, I found the recipe Here: http://www.homebrewit.com/blog/2016/10/03/apple-pie-wine-recipe/

What's funny is that it was posted in a blog by a Quality Wine & Ale Supply!

Just to let you know, I found the recipe Here: http://www.homebrewit.com/blog/2016/10/03/apple-pie-wine-recipe/

What's funny is that it was posted in a blog by a Quality Wine & Ale Supply!

Beer brewing site more than a wine making one - and they don't warn their readers that most commercially produced (most , not all) is doused with preservatives that will inhibit if not prevent fermentation. But hey - anyone can self promote and self publish on the interweb... Peer reviewed material is always better

Latest posts

Back