Apple pie cyser

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmac

Reaction score
Had a great flavor from a pub a month ago. It was called "caramel apple mead." Ordering it, I expected something like the Cyser - mead - Braggot that I brewed before, but I received something completely different. It was a smooth velvety apple pie flavor. No traces of Braggot. Really quite awesome.

So, on the hunt I went for something similar and came across the Apple Pie Cyser recipe that has been floating around that seemed to fit the description. Pitched 9days ago. Fermentation stopped a day ago. Tasted it today and was concerned about the strong cinnamon bitter that I was getting. So, just racked it to 2ndary. It has a thick, camel color. Flavor is a boozy apple with some bittery overtones. Og 1140, Sg 1002. Plan on backsweeten to the recipe and my tastes, after a couple more racking a year of bulk aging. Check it out.

5gal apple juice
5# wf honey
4# dark brown sugar
5 tbs apple pie spice (cinn, nmeg, gingr, allspice)
5 cinn sticks (in primary)
D47, pectin enz, nutes, engzr

Attachments

• 20171205_233812.jpg
    20171205_233812.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
This sounds quite high in alcohol. By your measurements about 18% but I would have though that this ought to have been closer to 15% ABV.

Yes, I know. It's pretty boozy. I used the D47 to try to max out around 15% and still keep it from drying out too much, but it's still chugging along. Even in the secondary it's throwing out the occasional bubble. I know that airlock activities are not indicative of abv increase, but it usually does. Maybe Lav miss labeled a 1118 lol.

Don't think it works quite that way. When a lab says that a yeast strain is good for, say, 14%. It is almost certainly good for another 3 or 4 percentage points but the lab cannot guarantee that. It's much like the load a piece of chain or rope is spec'ed for. You can probably double the load you apply but if the rope snaps that's your fault. You were warned.

Don't think it works quite that way. When a lab says that a yeast strain is good for, say, 14%. It is almost certainly good for another 3 or 4 percentage points but the lab cannot guarantee that. It's much like the load a piece of chain or rope is spec'ed for. You can probably double the load you apply but if the rope snaps that's your fault. You were warned.

I was joking about the yeast label. However, please clarify what you mean. I have often seen my D47 pop up a few points. The nature of any beast. As to the load, and it snapping.. Define. If by load, you mean the high OG/avail sugar? But the 'snapping' ...Stopping dead from carrying that load... or the inability for the yeast to go beyond the 14-16 abv? Either way they translate to the same. Yet I'm stalling at 15ish (per berry & balling) Like clockwork.

Total wine sells an apple pie mead (Kurt's Apple Pie IIRC) . I tried a bottle, and its was just OK. (Expensive for the 375ml bottle it was. Hard finding most meads in most stores it seems). I have 2.5 gallons of the caramel apple mead (the braggot version) aging right now. A very different taste than the Kurt's one. I'm digging it, and can't wait to see what it ages to!

Latest posts

Back