'apple' or wine pres questions..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtydog420

Reaction score
If I were to buy a press to get my own juices, do I still use the same amount of fruit in the recipes? If not, what do i do?

I ask this because I have a pear tree which will produce more fruit them I can make wine with at once. So I want to press the pears and freeze juice for other batches..

I make pear cider from my orchard here. Instead of a press I use a breville home juicer, it has a chute that is wide enough to put a whole apple or pear in at once.. It's easier to store than a press as well. Just note how much juice you are getting per pound of fruit in your notes.. and then when it comes to making up your recipe for wine.. adjust the juice to gallon ratio according to your recipe.

Allie

You dont want to go cutting open the seeds in a lot of fruit. Yes you would still use the same amount of fruit.

It's a wire mesh centrifugal one Wade, it throws all the pips straight into the pulp container without cutting them open. You certainly don't want the pips in your fermenter, they release a small amount of cyanide don't they?

Allie

Last edited:
Remember that before pressing you need to crush the fruit.
That involves also a lot of work.

Last year I did over 100 kilo apples, and used a food processor to crush them. Then I partly pulp fermented them.
Crushing and freezing the apples before pressing helps a lot and should give good results with pears to.

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/09/appeltje-voor-de-dorst-apple-day.html

Together with a buddy, who also had 100 kilo we crushed his lot in a food processor and pressed it afterwards.

With your own fresh pressed juice do not use any recipes, but test for SG and acidity and make the wine from scratch.

Luc

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back