Apple Must after 12 hours with Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickD

Reaction score
Just looked in on my first 1.2 gallons of apple wine, from bottled juice. Starting SG was 1.082, pH 3.79 This is what I found when I removed the cover. Does this cap (?) look normal? It's about 1/2 - 3/4 inches thick. Also, I'm under the impression that I need to give this a good stir every 24 hours. Sound right? I went ahead and stirred this until the cap appeared to go back into suspension/solution, leaving behind a white froth which I assume to be CO2.

IMG_1605.JPG

Looks good to me. Yes, generally once or twice a day is recommended until SG is somewhere around 1.010 (very rough number). Yes, the bubbles are CO2 from the yeast making alcohol. BTW, welcome to WMT.

Thanks! When I am ready to rack, should I try to skim off the cap first? It seems that would be easy to do.

I really like @Scooter68’s tips in this forum: Getting Started in Country Fruit Wine Making ?
All of the information won’t apply to you at this stage in your journey, but it may answer a lot of the questions you have now, and more importantly give you the reasons for when and why things are done. File it away for future reference.

I really like @Scooter68’s tips in this forum: Getting Started in Country Fruit Wine Making ?
All of the information won’t apply to you at this stage in your journey, but it may answer a lot of the questions you have now, and more importantly give you the reasons for when and why things are done. File it away for future reference.

Yes, thanks! I actually printed it out.

Latest posts

Back