Apple juice vs cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omerta

Reaction score
I think I want to try an apple wine for next years holiday season. Is there a difference when using juice vs cider? Is one better than the other?

Definitely differences.

I was going down the same thinking, and did some reading. Quaility apple cider in the states usually has no water added, and they blend several apple varieties together to achieve the profile. Most juices usually start with an apple cider and dillute it with water, add sugar and other things.

But theres also a price difference.

Thanks for the quick response.
Ok. Is there a formula for using cider? Adding water, etc. Or just go straight cider and add suger to get the a good starting SG?

Your pocket probably has that answer. I'm personally telling my pocket to suck it up, and im gonna go straight cider.

It's a quality vs quanity vs $ question that you have to ask yourself, really.

Personally, i'd rather have less of something 'amazing', than more of some 'alright'.

I was wondering about this. I think I will go the cider route too. Hopefully I can get a good price on 10-15 gallons.

I went with straight cider. I got seven gallons so I have some extra to top up with later. Check around for prices at the cider mills and tell them what you're doing. Ask them if you could bring you own sanitized bucket in to buy it in bulk. Most place will not allow public to bring thier own container any more do to health issues. Checking around I went from 5.75 down to $4.00 and they knock another .75/gal off because I had my own bucket. I also told the farmer I would bring him a bottle when it was done. His eyes lit up! I added enough sugar to take it up to 1.08

I went with straight cider. I got seven gallons so I have some extra to top up with later. Check around for prices at the cider mills and tell them what you're doing. Ask them if you could bring you own sanitized bucket in to buy it in bulk. Most place will not allow public to bring thier own container any more do to health issues. Checking around I went from 5.75 down to $4.00 and they knock another .75/gal off because I had my own bucket. I also told the farmer I would bring him a bottle when it was done. His eyes lit up! I added enough sugar to take it up to 1.08

that is a very good price on the cider. I make an apple spice wine that everyone seems to like for the holidays. but I make it around 18% alc..

I'll be getting cider next weekend for a batch of Apple wine. I was quoted $3.00 a gallon if I bring my own container. I'll make arrangements next Thursday and pick it up Saturday the 9th.

Thanks for all the input.
How well does cider clear?
Will I need an fpack with cider?

I'd like to do a spiced version.
How much spice would be needed for 6 gallons thats not over powering but adds a nice profile?
X sticks of cinnamon
X cloves
etc

Last edited:
I originally used the Spiced Apple Recipe from Jack Keller's site and thought it was very good. My second batch I did not use the same recipe but similar and I could taste a difference without the ginger root.

Heres the spiced apple recipe. Just substitute Cider for the fresh apples and adjust sg to 1.085 or there about.

APPLE WINE (5) [Spiced] - Gallon Recipe.
12 lb. mixed Fuji and Gala apples
1 lb. chopped golden raisins
2-1/2 lb granulated sugar
1 gallon water
1 oz. cloves
2 3-inch cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
1 oz. shredded ginger root
1 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp. pectin enzyme
1 crushed Campden tablet
Sauterne or Champagne wine yeast and nutrient

Quarter the apples and run them through a mincer. Put in primary fermentation vessel with all ingredients except yeast and nutrient, cover, and set in warm place for 24 hours. Add yeast and nutrient, stir, and cover for four days, stirring twice daily. Strain liquor into secondary fermentation vessel and fit airlock. Rack after 30 days and again after two months. When clear, rack again and bottle. Taste after six months, but allow one year for maturity. [Author's own recipe]

Latest posts

Back