Apple Juice question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
Stupid question #143....
I have about 800 lbs of apples to juice. Can I "can" the fresh pressed juice (which will essentially pasteurize it), and use it months later for a batch of apple wine?

Absolutely you can process it to be shelf stable. I am of course assuming you have more storage space than $ for freezing!

Ok, here's what I have on canning apple juice, depending on the pressing method. With 800 lbs, I'm assuming you are using a press operated at room temp with no pretreatment of the fruit other than washing:

After juicing the apples, you should let juice stand (refrigerated) for 24 hours, rack off the clear juice and toss the solids. Then, sterilize jars and keep the jars hot. Bring juice to a boil, pour into hot jars with 1/4 " headspace, adjust hot lids & rings. Process in a boiling water bath 5 min for sizes up to quarts, 10 min for !/2 gallon at sea level-1000 ft altitude.

Now, please be aware that I don't know where you are. For boiling water bath, more altitude means more time. I am at 6500 ft, so I would process quarts 10-11 minutes. If you are using a pressure canner, the adjustment is not for time, it is for pressure. That is, if I were processing apple juice in a pressure canner at 10 pounds at sea level, I would have to process it at 14 pounds at 6000 ft altitude for the same amount of time.

800 pounds of apples??? I have no idea how much juice that will yield!!! You should probably try to estimate that first before deciding on a processing method.

Wow. I think you're turning into an "artisan" juice/wine maker here! :)

Thanks for the head space and time info, gal. We just put up 17 cases of chickens, pie filling, jelly, apple and plum butter, plum sauce...<whew>. Gettin' to be a pro at it. We're at 2700', and adjustments have been made.
I'm pressing the apples raw. Won't be able to can all of it. I have 6 five gallon carboys standing by to store in the root cellar until the wine can be started. Wine, cider, and if Winter over takes me here in the Rockies, probably some Apple Jack out in a snow bank. Hahahaha

Thanks for the head space and time info, gal. We just put up 17 cases of chickens, pie filling, jelly, apple and plum butter, plum sauce...<whew>. Gettin' to be a pro at it. We're at 2700', and adjustments have been made.
I'm pressing the apples raw. Won't be able to can all of it. I have 6 five gallon carboys standing by to store in the root cellar until the wine can be started. Wine, cider, and if Winter over takes me here in the Rockies, probably some Apple Jack out in a snow bank. Hahahaha

Bet the ferment will start on its own in the root cellar.Might be really slow, but the apples have their own yeast. How cold is the cellar. Will it preserve the juice without spoiling at the temp. of the cellar? Good luck with it, Arne.

The root cellar sits at about 40F year around. It's snowing outside right now, so temps aren't an issue...yet.

I plan on putting at least one 5 gal carboy under air lock right away, just to get natural hard cider. My Winesap apples usually produce juice around SG 1.050-1.060, so I'm just going to let the wild yeast do its thing.

The other carboys I planned on adding K-meta to kill the wild yeast until I can get controlled batches going. I don't need any 5 gallon bottle-bombs!

Anyone have a better idea, I'm all ears.

Back