Apple fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warren57

Reaction score
2AD2FF08-7C2A-4DA4-B918-099D8F1EE2CD.jpeg first attempt at a batch of apple wine from juice. Started as I have many other batches, in a bucket with cloth cover. No action the first 30 hours or so, then very light bubbling.
All the other wines i’ve Made ferment very actively. This one hardly at all.
Started with 6 quarts Of 100% organic apple juice, no preservatives added and 2 quarts of white grape with no preservatives. I added sugar to get to sg 1.080, 1 crushed Campden tablet, 1 tbls yeast neutrient, 1/2 tsp yeast energizer, 1/2 tsp acid blend. Mixed well, waited 24 hours.
Added 1/2 packet D-47 yeast. very slight bubbling, almost undetectable after 30 hours.
Stirred it and created a decent layer of surface bubbles, but dissipated in seconds. Now a few small bubbles (see picture).
Temp. 70 degrees.
My question... is this typical of apple or is this just slow? All the other wines I’ve made had a roaring fermentation by now.
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Apple is slow, add the other 1/2 pack of yeast. Only costs a buck or so. Just sprinkle on top and wait 4 to 6 hrs to stir. Should take off

View attachment 53550 first attempt at a batch of apple wine from juice. Started as I have many other batches, in a bucket with cloth cover. No action the first 30 hours or so, then very light bubbling.
All the other wines i’ve Made ferment very actively. This one hardly at all.
Started with 6 quarts Of 100% organic apple juice, no preservatives added and 2 quarts of white grape with no preservatives. I added sugar to get to sg 1.080, 1 crushed Campden tablet, 1 tbls yeast neutrient, 1/2 tsp yeast energizer, 1/2 tsp acid blend. Mixed well, waited 24 hours.
Added 1/2 packet D-47 yeast. very slight bubbling, almost undetectable after 30 hours.
Stirred it and created a decent layer of surface bubbles, but dissipated in seconds. Now a few small bubbles (see picture).
Temp. 70 degrees.
My question... is this typical of apple or is this just slow? All the other wines I’ve made had a roaring fermentation by now.
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Warren, my 2 cents worth... I juiced tons of apples to get a 6 gallon batch. I made a supercharger starter using k1-v1116 yeast. It took off in 6 hours. Pushed up the towel I had covering. Turned out great in the end. Alcohol was a bit high and it tasted like dry chardonnay. I added 2 tubes of frozen apple concentrate and it was perfect. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back