Apple /Elderflower

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzyswimmer

Reaction score
I have a oaked Apple /Elderflower that is clearing now that seams like it will be real good. I used a full bodied apple recipe from Jack Kellers website and modified it. It will be a while before the final verdict is in. But it looks promising.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

6 gallon pure apple juice (no preservatives)
30 grams of toasted oak
1 oz of dried elderflowers

6 lb. granuated sugar
9 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1-1/2 tsp tannin
6 crushed Campden tablet
Champagne yeast and nutrient
Put juice, sugar, crushed Campden tablet, pectic enzyme, acid blend, tannin, elderflowersand oakinto primary fermentation vessel. Stir vigorously to dissolve solids and cover. After 24 hours, add yeast and nutrient and cover. Stir daily. When S.G. reaches 1.040 (3-5 days), rack into secondary fermentation vessel and fit airlock. Rack again after 30 days and again after two months. When wine is clear, rack again and bottle. Taste after six months.

Sounds like it should be a winner dizzy.....Keep us posted and some pictures would be great. What was your starting SG?

Sounds good. The addition of elderflower will give a very interesting overtone. Are you planning to back sweeten? I've done a couple of different apple wines and they finish out really very dry.
Edited by: peterCooper

I don't planto back sweeten. My wife and I both prefer dry wines. I have back sweetened a few wines in the past and wish I hadn't.

Back