Apple cider/wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlegCS

Junior
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just got two gallons of apple juice. A picture is attached in case if you need to see the ingredients or have any other questions. I was wondering if you happen to know a simple apple cider or apple wine recipe that I could use. I bought the juice for the glass jugs but would like to take advantage of the liquid inside as well :)

Attachments

• 20180121_164355.jpg
    20180121_164355.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 31
Looks like the total quantity of sugar in each bottle is 384 g or 1bout 13.54 oz . This is equivalent to a starting gravity of 1.033 and that is a potential ABV of 4.4% which is fine for a cider. A simple recipe might be to pitch 71B yeast. That said, I would be a little concerned about whether there was really enough nutrients in the juice for the yeast. So I would add nutrients. I would also want to add pectic enzyme about 12 hours before I pitch the yeast. That will help clarify the cider by breaking down the pectins that are in apple juice. Whether you add other flavors is up to you but you might consider adding a 2 inch piece of cinnamon to the secondary and allow the alcohol in the secondary to extract the flavor. You might dry hop with Citra or Nelson Sauvin hops (perhaps 1/2 oz per gallon of cider - again, I would add this to the secondary.
One way to increase the sugar content is to reduce the water content by freezing the juice and then collecting the frozen juice as it gently thaws. The first gallon you collect from BOTH gallon containers will have just about all the sugar so the gravity will then be about 1.066 (all the sugars will be coming from the juice)... but you will have only 1 gallon to ferment (I would actually aim for about 2/3 of a gallon of thawed juice)...

I do fermentation on Australian yeasts of Mauri (A - E fermentation), apple acid diminishes,
then replace with tartaric acid, the taste becomes velvety

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back