Apple cider wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chateau Joe

Snowbelt Fermenter
Reaction score
I would like to try making a wine from cider this year. Does anyone have a good recipe?

Thanks

I make apple cider and ferment it out on its own sugar content..using cider yeast.. you could do it exactly the same except just add sugar to bring the SG up to 1.085

I added citric acid to keep the cider nice and bright and campden tabs at the outset of ferment.

Allie

First if you do NOT own a press you can find on my last years weblog a few methods of juicing apples with the highest gain:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/09/appeltje-voor-de-dorst-apple-day.html

Now make the wine just like Allie said.
Take pure juice. Adjust SG to about 1085 which will give you an alcohol percentage of about 11% which is great for apple wine. Do not overdo the alcohol or it will become rocket fuel.

Adjust acid. I add citric acid to make it a bit fresher.
The logical acid would of course be mailc but I find that to harsh.
Again do not overdo the acid. Keep it around 6 to at most 7.

And.................Most important...................
Age it for at least a year.

Luc

Great advice! I've made apple wine and cider, and some other apple stuff.....I did exactly as Luk said with the wine and it came out good, Its been just about a year and I'm bottling this week. The cider is easy, I fermented it w/ champagne yeast and they put it in a keg and added CO2. Tastes good, its a nice change or good for a hot day. And the apple stuff- 4 gal Unpasteurized cider, 3 or 4 boxes of raisins, 10 pounds of sugar. Dump it all in a carboy, Add nothing, And rack 500 million times (not really) till clear. Tastes awesome this year, like fresh apple juice, smooth, 19% alcohol. I know its a gamble doing it like this, but its fun when it turns out good.

Back