Apple Cider Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Runningwolf,

I began my apple cider wine. It has been in the vat for 5 days and it mausred in at 1.070. Also, is doe not look like it is fermenting. I'd like for it to get lower before I rack it. Do you suggest adding yeast nutrient? I have 5 gal os apple cider. I added 5 lbs of sugar at the beginning with yeast, tanin, yeast nutriet, etc. I added the yeast on day 2. Thanks for your help!

what is the temperature of your must and have you takens another hydrometer reading since the first reading. It may be fermenting, just because you do not see physically see it fermenting does not mean it is not. You need to take readings periodically to see if it is.

Hi Julie,

It has gone down. Day 1 I was at 1.090 roughly, today ( day 5) it was at 1.070. Also, how do I take the temp.? Just use a themometer? Thanks for your help. I also just read your candy cane wine posts, very interesting!

lol, when candy canes go on sale after Christmas go get some, Runningwolf talked me into this and my wine turned out great but he ended up dumping his.

I have a hydrometer that has a thermonter inside it, I keep it in the primary when I start a wine. Have you takened a reading since you started? If may not look like it is fermenting but it maybe going slow enough that there are no physical signs.

The wine is at 60 degrees, do you recommend adding a yeast nutrient? Today is day 7 and it is still at 1.070. Thanks

You can add some nutrient if you like, but I would get that temp. up into the mid seventies or so. Most yeasts like it warmer than you have them. I have found most will ferment at the lower temps, but they work much slower. warm it up some and it should take back off. Arne.

Bottling cider...

Whats best bottles for cider? Wine bottles? Beer bottles? or something else? Are milk jugs ok to use??

If you are going to store it for any lenght of time, I would use wine bottles. Beer bottles should work fine for short term storage. I would stay away from plastic for storage. If you were to drink it right away, the plastic would probably work, but I would not use it myself. These are only my opinions, so take it for what it is worth. Arne.

Cider help....

I just bottled cider I made per recipe in the begining of this thread. I tasted it a few times now since and I can hardly drink it. It is not smooth at all. I did not back sweeten but I thought it would be at least decent enough to drink. I stabilized it and put 2 gallons in carboys to let settle out for awhile then will bottle. I bottled 4 bottles right out of the secondary into wine bottles and put other 2 gallons in jugs, one in fridge and other I left out. Im thinking it should be better over time right??

Fresh apples?

Has anyone used fresh apples for their wine? Could you run them through a blender or food processor and use that for a batch?

Apple wine is best when using multiple types of apples and this is the reason I use apple cider. You also have to be very careful not to cut or crush the seeds.

just racked my 18 gal of Country Apple Wine again.... Strange goings on in one of the carboys, after racking color is very dark, almost black, the other two are the typical brownish tan of Apple. Could this be from the grated Orange zest I put into the carboys for flavor along with the Cinnamon, Cloves & Ginger??? I did it to all three but this one had a blackish cast on the very top gal or so of the carboy before I racked it?? Has anyone experienced this, hope this carboy didn't turn bad with a black plague???? Took a little sip & it it similar to the other two. Color looks like my carboy of Pinot noir but should be a brown/tan. Any thoughts.........

Al

Has anyone used fresh apples for their wine? Could you run them through a blender or food processor and use that for a batch?

Yes on the fresh apples. Though no blender or processor was used. Just cored and cut up.

Al, I have never had that happen to my Country Apple. I've never zested before either but it sure does sound good. I just ran all the tests on my apple this morning. Either later today or tomorrow I'll be siphoning it all back into the 32 gallon brute to add sulfite, 16 pounds of sugar and a couple gallons of crabapple to it. Then I'll vacuum back to clean carboys.

The dark color sorta scares me, but I'll just watch it for a while. Maybe a reaction with the orange jest?? Weird is that it only appeared in one carboy.
The other two are fine!! I still have to Kmeta, sorbate & backswetten yet but will wait till it starts to clear yet. Just never saw this black color before??? The black plague is out to get me!!!! Always something unique when experimenting.....

Al

Latest posts

Back