Apple Cider help (To high acid)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodfella

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I made a Apple cider today while I was very tired. I was also trying my new PH meter.... Long story short.....

I tested for acids and they are to high. The PH is 3.3 (I thought this is good). But the Acid test was reading really high.

I used 6 gallons fresh juice. (no water). And all the other goodies...

QUESTION.... Would I be best to just dilute this with water, then bring the SG back up with simple syrup?

Or should I use calcium carbonate, or cold stablize?

I am leaning towards the first idea... But I would love some opinions or ideas...

Thanks,

Joel

When I make apple cider I don't worry about testing for anything, just like when I make hard lemonade. All I do is add the kmeta, wait 24 hours and add the yeast.

goodfella, what do you consider the acid as too high - what was your reading? It might be fine and then you could do as vcasey suggests.

I tested with the accuvin...

The reading you are looking for is 6.5 for reds and 7.5 for whites. This is reading 10.5.

Thanks for the help. I have already added the stuff, so I have to do something

Sorry it took me a while to get back. I would dilute it some with water to get the acid down some, then bring back up with sugar. You can always add more concentrated juice later if you need more flavor. That is definitely a bit high in acid.

Did you add water or calcium carbonate? Just curious, but I would pitch the yeast and if you haven't added anything, don't.

Appleman already responded, never mind.

I would just let it go and see how it turns out. You can adjust as necessary later. My reasoning is most folks I've talked to just don't check for cider or perry and for the most part the yeast have quick work since it's usually a low alcohol drink, and those yeasties really love apples & pears.
Then again appleman has had much more experience then I have .........

If you don't dilute it at all, you will have a high acid. You could counter that somewhat by using 71B-1122 which will convert some of the malic acid and lower it overall. I have made quite a few of these in the past and when using whole juice with high acid, it takes about 2-3 years minimum to begin to taste better. I have begun to use the 71B with good results as does a cidery locally that sells hard cider.

Update: I had already pitched the cider yeast before seeing Applemans last post.

Here's what I did... I diluted it down just a little bit, and then raised the SG back up with brown sugar. It dropped the acidity some, but I think the small amount of water wont be to noticable in taste.

Thanks for the help....

Joel

Have to agree with Appleman here. The first time I made cider and crabapple wine, I used cotes de Blanc and the final acidity was unpleasant, so I added an fpac, which brought the final S.G. up to 1.01 and that managed to balance the acidity.

Next time around, I used 71B and the difference was significant to the point that I use this yeast for all apple and cherry related wines now.

As a side note, I also aged the cider in med+ Hungarian oak with great results.

Cheers Joel!

Back