Apple Cider $7.00 / Gallon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok as of 11:30 am Wednesday, good yeasty apple juice aroma greeted me when I entered the "winery.". Gave a good stir and recovered the bucket.
Light foaming before stir and nice fresh bubbling after stirring. Set thermostat down from 65 to 61. No need to rush this one
IllI check the SG tomorrow.

Not a problem - Hey, I'm retired, it was a rainy day and I wondered if I had remembered what I read correctly. I was close. 10 mins work to fetch it all and paste.

My first taste of apple wine was a German Sweet Apple wine. So when I first started to make an apple wine I thought, well you use sweet, eating apples right? Wrong, A blend works best I guess.

Now I'm happy with this purchase that I don't have to cut, freeze and press or run the apples through my juicer.

I understand....

I made a 7 1/2 gallon batch of Apple wine from some VERY tart apples 2 falls ago. Two different varieties but not sure which ones. I did the freezing and pressing and it was a lot of work. The press I borrowed from the local wine store didn't work very good. I got the 7 1/2 gallons from 110# of apples. No water added. It also took a LONG time to clear (and lots of pectic enzyme). I bottled it after 14 months and wasn't real impressed initially. That wine is 2 years old now and WOW, what a difference! When I do it again it will be from cider, not apples.

Back