Appassimento

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appassimento in a barrel for 8 months now ABV 16.3% PH 3.75 TA 5.8 taste fantastic smoothing out nicely

That’s awesome man! I’m glad this has been a success. Seems like a realistic option to maybe try it at some point.
2 questions.
1. How was the new abv tool? Looks expensive. And like you got it from a museum. Lol Ebulliomteter correct?
2. And what type of barrel did you go with?

Appassimento II
We got 1000 lbs Pinot Noir from Kingsville near Grand River Valley OH
Brix 20.5 pH 3.31 didn't do TA yet. Would like to get the brix over 23 and push 24. I like a bolder Pinot
like Russian River CA, Willamette Valley is nice but I always go back to the River.
He is a pic of the drying tower we made.2018-09-25 17.16.40.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked the brix Friday already at 22.2 brix ta is 7.2 may be ready by Tue Wed
Checked out your "fruttai" - very cool and inspiring. I think we'll go out and buy some Amarone della Valpolicella today - maybe I'll be able to make some in the future.

I haven't posted for a bit. The 2017 Appassiemto was bottled in 2019 it was awesome and now all gone it was a touch 'hot'. We made a 2018 Appassiento that we bottled about a month ago, so almost 2 years in the barrel, three barrels worth. It is fantastic we entered it in the San Fransico contest. We also made a 2018 Pinot Noir 50/50 Appassimento. We also placed it in the San Fran contest. I will keep you posted as to how they fared. We currently have three barrels of 2019 & 2020 in barrels. The 2020 looks like it might be the best so far. Just for kicks, I did an appassimento Pinot Noir, then did a carbonic maceration, then a wild fermentation. Small batch only 23 gals. Going to keep it in stainless. Very Very interesting the nose is very fruity tastes rich has to mellow out though a bit harsh right now. All of the above are grapes from the Grand River Valley Oh GRV

Update
2018 Pinot Noir 50/50 Appassimento won bronze in the San Francisco contest. Our 2019 won Silver in the San Fransico contest.
I think 2020 will bring gold; I should know by Feb 2023.

We made separate barrels of Merlot, Cab Franc, and Cab Sauv, each appassimento from the Grand River Valley grapes in Fall 2021. They all came out great, especially the Cab Sauv.

For 2022 we couldn't find any grapes from GRV as a frost in the spring wiped out 40% of the grapes.

I have offered to teach and share my knowledge on making appassimento wine from our cool climate grapes with other wineries in the area, but no one has taken me up on the offer.

Love this thread. I set notifications on this thread back in 2017 and kept up with all your updates. A helluva first timer appassimento experiment on a large scale and I love the ‘screw it go big/go home’ attitude.

Congrats on the quality wines and the well earned ribbons. Hey btw, are you still using that ebuiliometer abv toy/antique?

Love this thread. I set notifications on this thread back in 2017 and kept up with all your updates. A helluva first timer appassimento experiment on a large scale and I love the ‘screw it go big/go home’ attitude.

Congrats on the quality wines and the well earned ribbons. Hey btw, are you still using that ebuiliometer abv toy/antique?

Latest posts

Back