Appassimento

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We crushed and de-stemmed the Appassimento. The brix are in the 27-28 range it was 39 degrees. pH 3.4 I didn't do a T/A yet original was 5.0 5.5 range
Taste like a very rich full cherry, very flavorful. The issue now is, do I ferment this out at 27-28 Brix. I hate to water it down that defeats the purpose of the drying
But I may have to. WE yielded 96 gal of must from 1153 original lbs of grapes I feel we lost about 1/3 of the weight, we should end up with close to 60 gal. of wine

We crushed and de-stemmed the Appassimento. The brix are in the 27-28 range it was 39 degrees. pH 3.4 I didn't do a T/A yet original was 5.0 5.5 range
Taste like a very rich full cherry, very flavorful. The issue now is, do I ferment this out at 27-28 Brix. I hate to water it down that defeats the purpose of the drying
But I may have to. WE yielded 96 gal of must from 1153 original lbs of grapes I feel we lost about 1/3 of the weight, we should end up with close to 60 gal. of wine

That BRIX , 27-28, will get you an Amarone with ABV right in line with the range of that style of wine (which I happen to love). To add water after working to concentrate the sugars and flavors befuddles me, but I’ve never done it myself, is there more to consider?

Sounds like you're right on target to me. After a recent discussion about Amarone I did a little bit of reading. Just going from my limited prior knowledge and what I recently read your numbers sound essentially perfect. I would assume winemakers implementing the appasimmento method would use a very specific yeast to tolerate the high abv. I wonder how accessible those high abv yeasts are though. (other than the general universal high abv type)

Quoted from http://winefolly.com/review/why-amarone-wine-is-worth-the-price/

"During the roughly 120 days that this occurs, the grapes will lose 30-40% of their weight. The result is intense concentration and a very high sugar content, which in turn translates into 15% or higher alcohol levels. It also demands a premium price. You can do the math yourself: a hell of a lot more fruit goes into a bottle of Amarone than a bottle of Valpolicella. The drying process demands an investment of time and space on behalf of the winery."

Some of the finest Amarone's out there have ABV's in the 16%-17.5% range. As for stuck fermentations, select a proper yeast, maintain proper nutrient protocol, temps, etc., and you will be able to gobble through the sugar to produce what you have set out to produce, a higher ABV wine, heavy bodied, and loaded with very ripe black fruits.

You concentrated the grapes by drying in order to increase the ABV, and flavor / aroma compounds, to add water at this point in time would, IMHO, be bailing out on what you set out to create, but that'll have to be your decision as the winemaker.

NCWC,

Thanks for the update on your Apassimento wine. I'm excited about your project and can't wait to hear about the finished wine.

WeimarWine

I just want to reiterate what others have said. This appasimmento project is cool as hell and you've got a fun Facebook page too with tons of pictures and videos. Sounds like a very welcoming and interesting wine club up there.
I only know of 1 club near me and we happen to share the same grape supplier. But they are not the most welcoming group. They're secretive and to join it's almost like you gotta be Italian and already part of their cliche. So I can't even find out how to get 'made' even if I wanted to.
It's ok though. I've seen some pics from their crush and could point out about a dozen different things I would have disagreed with anyway. (<--Sour grapes ya think!? wahahahaha)
So Keep the updates coming! And keep planting that appasimmento seed in the heads of everyone following along.

We do have a fun club, we have great members from all walks of life with one thing in common, Love Wine.

The Numbers on the Appassimento after crush and at 64 degrees pH 3.65 T/A 7.6 Brix 28.5 SG 1.122
Original was pH 3.30 T/A 5 Brix 22. I'm a little surprised at the acid but it makes sense.
The grapes were dried for 25 days 50% Cab Sav 25% Cab Fran 25% Melot

After digging and investigating I will ferment at the full brix this will be a challenge. The ABV should be around 16

R2 very aggressive

Never used that one before, according to the literature:

"R2 was isolated in the Sauternes region of Bordeaux by Brian Croser of South Australia. In addition to enhancing esters and mouthfeel, it has excellent cold temperature properties and will ferment as low as 50 degrees F, making it ideal for Icewine production. However, if it does not get proper nutrients it can tend to produce VA and H2S. For this reason, hydration with GO-FERM and the addition of Fermaid K is definitely recommended to optimize its' potential. R2 helps produce intense, direct fruit style whites by liberation of fruity and floral fermentative aromas. R2 also helps to enhance the varietal chacter by an enzymatic release of bound aroma precursors. It is recommended for aromatic white varieties such as Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Chenin Blanc, Vidal, and Seyval. It is classified asEnhances the varietal chacter by enzymatic release of bound aroma precursors. Perfect for aromatic whites like Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Chenin Blanc, Vidal, and Seyval. Ferments down to 50F. Ideal for Icewine. 1g per gallon.a Saccharomyces cerevisiae bayanus. Best results from 50 to 86 degrees F, with an alcohol tolerance to 16%."

Never done this style wine, so I don't know a lot about producing it, any particular reason you selected R2 as opposed to a more red wine geared yeast like RC212 or BM 4x4?

The appassimento is prone to high VA with regular red wine yeast, this yeast and other Bayanas strains produce 30% less VA
Also this will be a high ABV 15-17 range it is also about 55-60 degrees in the winery now
I have dumped nutrients into it almost every other day the Must temp is 78 ambient 55-60
So it is vigorous

Pressed the Appasimento last Sat the 11th. We got 58 gal out of it. Started with 1153 lbs so we lost about 30%
the pH 3.65 TA 7.6 started MLF may drop the TA a bit all and all very rich dark color and very nice flavor
Didn't check the alcohol level yet with my new toy

Attachments

• 2017-11-05 11.27.47 2.jpg
    2017-11-05 11.27.47 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
Update
Did a CuSo bench trial added 40 mL of 10% CuSo to 60 gal. Really opened it up
Still in ML after about 6 weeks (the room is 55-60 degrees) taste great going into barrel
New french oak in about a week

Latest posts

Back