Apothic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smok1

Reaction score
One of my wifes goto reds is the apothic wines. So to indulge her into kit wines i bought a RJS winemakers trio red. Its a blend of cabernet savigon, syrah, and zin. 3 of the 4 blends in the apothic red. I also bought a merlot kit which is the 4th of the apothic blend. I plan to blend them together in trials to make my own version of the apothic. They have both been bulk aging a few months now but theres one detail i missed. Apothic blend is aged in a whiskey barrel. Can i buy some oak cubes and get the soaking in some whiskey and then add them into the carboys next time i rerack? If so how long will the oak cubes need to sit in whiskey? How many oak cubes? And how long should i leave them in the carboy?

Apothic Red is also one of our fav's too! We use about a cup of oak cubes per carboy & leave them in for the whole 3 months. Not sure about the whiskey idea. Maybe steal a small sample or even a bottle out of the carboy & try whiskey soaked cubes on the bottle to see if you like it. You can top off your carboy with a Apothic Red. Roy

There's actually a kit out there that was designed to be like Apothic Red. Don't recall which, but I think it was a Cellar Craft Showcase.

Wine expert selection Enigma was a apothic spinoff. It was a 16liter kit without skins if im not mistaken. Im trying the trio red 18 liter kit with grape skin pack (which has 3 of the 4 apothic blends cab sav, syrah, and zin) and made my own merlot kit to get the final blend. Thought this way i could try my own blend.

Wine expert selection Enigma was a apothic spinoff. It was a 16liter kit without skins if im not mistaken. Im trying the trio red 18 liter kit with grape skin pack (which has 3 of the 4 apothic blends cab sav, syrah, and zin) and made my own merlot kit to get the final blend. Thought this way i could try my own blend.

You're correct. It was the Enigma. No skins.

I made the Enigma kit about a year and a half ago. In general, family and friends like the WE Cabernet kit a little better. But the Cab is about a year and a half older than the Enigma and that might account for the difference. I suspect the Enigma will be great after a few more years. In most cases, the red kits I've aged for 4 or 5 years are fantastic.

Latest posts

Back