Apfelwein

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadie

Junior
Reaction score
I've decided to try and make some Apfelwein but I have 2 questions before I get started.
All of the recipes are suggesting to use Montrachet Wine Yeast but can I use Pasteur instead without ruining it?
None of the recipes I have looked at have mentioned camdon tablets. Should I use camdon tablets before bottling?

Sure you can use a different yeast. If you are using fresh apple cider, you mite want to use the campden. If you are using juice, just start er up. It should be fine. Montrechet is a great yeast, but folks have a problem with the rotten egg smell using it. If you keep the nutrients up it works fine, the Pasteur will work just fine for you. Good luck with it, Arne.

Apfelwein is hard to kill no matter what yeast you use. If using juice, may I humbly suggest adding 2T of malic acid for tartness and 1-2t of oak powder tannin to give it a more "cider-like" color. Two of my favorite flavoring tweaks are ginger or basil.

BC

Apfelwein is hard to kill no matter what yeast you use. If using juice, may I humbly suggest adding 2T of malic acid for tartness and 1-2t of oak powder tannin to give it a more "cider-like" color. Two of my favorite flavoring tweaks are ginger or basil.

BC

I could not agree more on the acid addition. I add 1 Tbls to six gallons post fermentation. I also drop in 2 whole cloves on some batches.

RR

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help! I would never have thought to add the malic acid and oak powder tannin!

Back