Apfelwein

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandpasFootsteps

Hillbilly-In-Training
Reaction score
I made Apfelwein using Ed's recipe here. It is about 8% ABV. It was started on Dec 21 2010. Yesterday I bottled it. I kind of wish I hadn't. It tastes disappointing. It is very weak tasting. Almost no apple flavor and very little body. It isn't dry and it isn't sweet. Tastes similar to water. Is this the way it is supposed to taste? Is there a trick to make this into a richer wine? I am willing to try another batch (it's a low cost formula!), but I need to make it better than this.

first thoughts... maybe you could unbottle and sweeten to taste. sometimes you need sugar to bring out the flavor or you could unbottle and try a f-pack. i had this issue my first time i made an apple too. i ended up using apple flavoring to make it better. my last batch i made with juice that i simmered down. it tastes good so far but only time will tell.

I made the EdWort recipe about a year ago. I too was very disappointed with the results - not much taste at all. I attempted to mess with it - I spiced some (cinnamon and cloves), and added some raspberry to some and cranberry to some. I have basically forgotten about them. I plan on trying them in a few months as I am hoping that they will improve with aging.

Hmmm I have made 2 batches of this and both were very good with lots of apple flavour
I used Allens pure apple juice for both batches and back sweetened a little with 1/2 liter
of the same.

You def need to let this age atleast a year. you will get a funky taste in the beginning. But it really does turn out nice when you let it age. (atleast mine did) The first batch i made it exactly and it didn't impress me in the beg. but after aging it tasted wonderful. The second & third batch i mixed it up alittle. I used regular sugar and made a 8% abv & a 12% Abv. i also got some apple syrup & reg. maple syrup i plan on experimenting with. I still have them bulk aging.

You def need to let this age at least a year.

This. Apfelwein (and Ed's recipe for it) does state it needs at least 6 months aging.

I too was kind of underwhelmed by it, and so it sat for many many months in the basement.

Then it was time to free up some bottles, and man the stuff was great!

Having no or little body and watery Taste is often because of TA and Tannin deficiency in the Wine .

Have you ever measured TA of your Apple wine ?

If it is below 0.6% then try to adjust it by adding some Acid blend to the Wine .

I would also add some Tannin or you can Boil a Tablespoon of black Tee in water and add some ( NOT much ) to the Wine .

Hector

Last edited:
Having no or little body and watery Taste is often because of TA and Tannin deficiency in the Wine .

Have you ever measured TA of your Apple wine ?

If it is below 0.6% then try to adjust it by adding some Acid blend to the Wine .

I would also add some Tannin or you can Boil a Tablespoon of black Tee in water and add some ( NOT much ) to the Wine .

Hector

This sounds very much like the problem. I made this very early on in my sure-to-be long and illustrious wine-making career. In the countless (5) months of many long hours, I have obtained tannin, acid, and acid testing equipment. I've used them, but I sort of left that Apfelwein on the shelf figuring - hey I followed the recipe exactly!

In the countless (5) months of many long hours, I have obtained tannin, acid, and acid testing equipment. I've used them, but I sort of left that Apfelwein on the shelf figuring - hey I followed the recipe exactly!

What was the Result of the Acid Test ?

How much Acid did you add ?

If you added Tannin , are you sure that it is dissolved completely ? Since Tannin can not be dissolved in water or Juice so easily .

Although I don't know the Recipe you used , but I can tell you that by aging you let a Wine which

has some excess flavor and tasting become mellow .

But , in your Case I would think twice .

Another important thing is that when someone creates a Recipe , he does this in his own Conditions by the time of making that Recipe . Your Conditions will never be exactly the same as his . So , each time you follow a Recipe , you should take your Conditions ( Equipments , Ingredients quality and so on ) into account .

Hector

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back