Apfelwein (Hard German Apple Cider)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im sorry to say this will be my last batch of Apfelwein . At least for now, thats what I say. .This one has totally confused me!! I might try it again in a year or so

This wound up Being the Best Apple wine I have ever had in my life. It was soooo Bad at first I named it Sasquatch. I added way to many cloves. After realizing, my mistake I removed them all after just a few days.
I used Brown sugar to Back sweeten instead of white which makes it harder to clear. I wound up Bottling just a case and tossing the rest.
I shoved that case away In a dark spot for over a year. I ran across it and popped the cork out of curiosity.
Im sick I tossed most of it. This was my learning experience on how wine ages in the Bottle. It was amazing. I would love to make that same Batch again.

This is why you will never find me aging wine in the CarBoy. 1.. it takes so much longer and 2.... I will never have that many carboys I can keep out of action that long. lol. Noting wrong with it if you have that kinda time and that many carBoys though lol

13 pages and I am still confused really really confused!! I would like to try this in a 3-gallon batch. But I would like to use fresh pressed juice from my own apples. I am new at this, what are the pros and cons of using the fresh juice? And are there steps I should take that are different from the original recipe? I pressed the apples yesterday, and need to get started as I am out of freezer space.

There is no reason not to start. Just use plenty of pectic enzyme and use it as soon as the apple juice is ready. That will help with both the release of all the sugars and the clearing. There are no special steps other than perhaps leaving the juice for 24-48 hours covered with the pectic enzyme and k-meta/Campden tab(s) added. Don't add any water to the juice - pure juice.

As to additives, Acid blend to get the pH in the 3.4 to 3.6 range, 1/4 tsp tannin per gallon, 1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient/per gallon, Sugar to get the SG to where you want it. The additives can all be added with the pectic enzyme.

Then proceed as with any ferment. After the waiting time 24-48 hrs prepare your yeast starter and when that's good, pitch the yeast, stir and cover.

You should plan on adding additional Yeast Nutrient (1/2 tsp per gallon) when the SG has dropped to around 1.050 - 1.040.

So, I went apple picking with the fam, and as usual I picked too many (by about 50lb) anybody have a recipe that starts with raw apples? or........Was thinking of making cider from a recipe that popped up on my facebook feed and then just fermenting that with additional sugar?..
please let me know your thoughts one either option....and I don't a have a press or juicer...so that limits me a bit

Latest posts

Back