Apfelwein (Hard German Apple Cider)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tasted this dry and this straight up!! taste like beer :)
I bottle conditioned two 22.5 oz. bottles of this as an experiment. It is absolutely fabulous! So glad I have a three gallon batch going now, and definitely will be starting another batch soon.
This gets me wondering how it would be with a small amount of hops.

Last edited:
Well rookie Mistake here. I went down to my wine room to find it not only still fermenting but coming up through my air lock. I cleaned out the air lock back the level down some. I cant do anything at this point but let it finish.
I added splenda which I dont think can ferment. But, I also topped it off with almost a whole bottle of apple juice because it was to strong to begin with.
I tasted it. taste great.
Here's what I think, no (blush) here is what I know happened. It had been setting in the fermenter for days still as heck. No even a burp in the airlock.
I took a reading and it was at .01
Even after I racked it I had this feeling I should let it set a few more days then take another reading. I didnt!!
It was stuck. My racking and degassing and then adding more apple juice got it all started again. Despite the K-meta and sorbet. The apple juice has its natural sugar so Im no sure where this is all gonna end up. Live and Learn!!! Its just at about over 2 so its not to high. I hope Im right and Splenda does not Ferment. I would think it would be higher if it did

Last edited:
Bottling my 3 gallon batch tonight after backsweetening with brown sugar and a touch more powdered cinnamon with backsweetening because it was starting to age out somehow. Been bulk aging about 6 months at this point.

Starting a 6 gallon batch next week using 6.5 gallons of cider from a nearby cider mill, going to use 1/2 honey and 1/2 brown sugar to bump up the sg, and then cinnamon, cloves (just 1 or 2, I have heard they overpower easily), and go from there.

Has anyone used cider instead of apple juice? any issues with this? seems like it will be harder to clear...

I tossed in about 10 cloves but they are all at the top. I will spoon them out in a few days

I tasted this dry and this straight up!! taste like beer :)
Pretty good beer but beer. My husband would love it but not what I was going for.
It took a lot of doctoring for my taste. I added everything. I used half the bottle of apple extract!! I tasted no real apple in it at all.
I backed sweetened with 3 maybe even four cups of splenda (trying to make a skinny wine)
I added whole cloves. 2 TBLS Ground cinnamon (Felt like I could control the cinnamon Better) Allspice, Nutmeg. I almost reached for the pumpkin spice but stopped (will save that for something else)
I was tossing anything in to make it more apple wine tasting then beer.
was super gassy too. I will bulk age this one for 6 months.
Its nothing I would want to drink tonight but i remember thinking the same thing about my first batch of dragons blood and The black and Blue which I loved after 5- 6 months in the bottle.
No tellin what this is going to taste like :)

IMHO you need this stuff clear, then age a month or so for the natural apple flavor to come out. Slow down.... I would think being this young it would have a beer like taste.

If you put in 1/2 bottle of the extract I think you may have over done it a bit. Kinda like me putting 3 whole vanilla beans in my Strawberry Vanilla debockle. Like I said, 1/2 tsp per gallon extract is all I use and it brings the right amount of flavor for me.

........I added splenda which I dont think can ferment. But, I also topped it off with almost a whole bottle of apple juice because it was to strong to begin with.
I tasted it. taste great. I hope Im right and Splenda does not Ferment. I would think it would be higher if it did.....

Splenda will not ferment. It is a 'Sugar Alcohol'. Other ones you can use are; Truvia©, Ideal©, erythritol, or malitol. I used one that is xylitol

This guy explains it a little better then me.

RR

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then Im glad I went with the splenda. lol. Its still bubbling away. I wont take another reading till Im off Friday. then I will have to taste and clear again lol

You might be right but its live and learn here. Its tasted nothing like apple and more like Miller Light LMAO

I'll take a reading Friday and take out the cloves. As far as the extract go's its a done deal. Will have to wait and see

Well then Im glad I went with the splenda. lol. Its still bubbling away. I wont take another reading till Im off Friday. then I will have to taste and clear again lol

The only thing I can think of is you topped off with apple juice and the little bit of sugar it it is fermenting....

Hang in there.

RR

Has anyone used cider instead of apple juice? any issues with this? seems like it will be harder to clear...

I have used fresh cider. This time of year when I can get it I use it. I have access to fresh apple just dont have the equipment to process fresh apples, YET. And I just refuse to pay $5 a gallon at the grocery store. I have never had a problem getting it to clear.

RR

$5 a gallon would be a steal. All the local orchards here are asking $7+ a gallon. No discount for bulk purchases that I have found.

We have fresh cider abundant in this part of the country ths time of year. they are proud cider makers and have every right to be!! lol

Still tiny bubbles here. It might be CO2 I want to take a reading but Im to tired from work. Will do it tomorrow and go from there

I am thinking I will start this with some local cider instead of apple juice. Any changes needed for cider vs juice? How is the brown sugar batch going Tess? I was thinking of adding some honey until I read your post.

I am thinking I will start this with some local cider instead of apple juice. Any changes needed for cider vs juice? How is the brown sugar batch going Tess? I was thinking of adding some honey until I read your post.

No changes needed. Just follow your recipe.

RR

Thanks, I have my cider, cold pasteurized, but no preservatives. So from recipe, there is no mention of yeast nutrient or yeast energizer or pectin enzyme. Is there a reason none of this is needed, but is used in other fruit wines?

Thanks, I have my cider, cold pasteurized, but no preservatives. So from recipe, there is no mention of yeast nutrient or yeast energizer or pectin enzyme. Is there a reason none of this is needed, but is used in other fruit wines?

I use yeast nutrient and pectin enzyme. Just follow direction on the package.

RR

Mine is stuck just a little over 1 again. I removed all the cloves. Im gonna let it set for a few days and if it doesnt budge Im gonna rack it back into the primary and see if that get its moving again

Going down slowly. I refuse to throw out any batch of wine but Im sacrificing a carboy for it. I dont want anything to do with this batch LMAO...Im serious, I dont!! Its setting in the carboy and Im gonna forget about it for at least 6 months!!
Hopefully its gonna be one of those stories where with the ugly duckling that turns into a swan that I read several times on here!! YUK!!

Not saying its not my own fault just giving it the chance it deserves!!

Latest posts

Back