Apfelwein (Hard German Apple Cider)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made three batches of this stuff and am about to make another. I am thinking of adding acid blend to increase tartness but do not have an acid testing kit. I really don't want to get one right now. Any suggestions on how much acid blend to add? I v'e read other fruit juice recipes that call for 2-3tsp, maybe that would be a good start?

BC

I made a small batch of this using Hansen's Trifecta juice, and after just over three weeks, it's already nearly completely clear. If I like it, there's gonna be a big batch coming up.

Well Im getting everything Im going to need to make this this weekend but in 6 gal not 5. Im thinking of putting brown sugar in the primary instead of white or dextrose to bump the ABV and adding one cinnamon stick to secondary. I will ferment in bucket not a carboy. Iv seen this stuff go crazy in some youtube videos :) I will Let you guys know how its go's

I always use brown sugar or the Mexican sugar, Piloncillo. I shoot for ~1.065, 2# sugar to 5 gal juice. I always use a bucket for primary and rack when sg drops below 1.010 so. I have had a few batches go nuts with foam. I think the ferment was a little too warm. A 1/4 tsp of apple extract per gallon really makes the apple flavor pop. I have also added a bag of quad berry to primary for a little more depth of flavor.

RR

Last edited:
... Im thinking of putting brown sugar in the primary instead of white or dextrose to bump the ABV and adding one cinnamon stick to secondary. I will ferment in bucket not a carboy. Iv seen this stuff go crazy in some youtube videos :)

Funny you should mention that, I just started my first batch last week using brown sugar. I put the juice, brown sugar, and K1-V1116 directly into a carboy per the instructions. It took off great and the airlock is still bubbling away madly... but no foam at all!

Well I didnt get started like I wanted but Im starting it tomorrow. Cant wait to see how it comes out

I always use brown sugar or the Mexican sugar, Piloncillo. I shoot for ~1.065, 2# sugar to 5 gal juice. I always use a bucket for primary and rack when sg drops below 1.010 so. I have had a few batches go nuts with foam. I think the ferment was a little too warm. A 1/4 tsp of apple extract per gallon really makes the apple flavor pop. I have also added a bag of quad berry to primary for a little more depth of flavor.

RR

Thanks for the Apple extract link.

I've made three batches of this stuff and am about to make another. I am thinking of adding acid blend to increase tartness but do not have an acid testing kit. I really don't want to get one right now. Any suggestions on how much acid blend to add? I v'e read other fruit juice recipes that call for 2-3tsp, maybe that would be a good start?

BC

Sorry I missed this post till now. I have a lot of this stuff under my belt. Here is what I do to finish it.

The apple juice I use is just the local supermarket brand. Nothing special just no preservatives listed. I add brown sugar to 1.065, 2# per 6 gal. The juice right out of the jug has ph around 3.75. I ferment it dry and age it a month. Then I get the ph down to around 3.35. For a 6 gal batch that is almost always 3 tbls tartaric acid. I add 1# suger to get the sg up 10 1.005 and add 1 tbls Olive Nation Apple Extract.

That's it. Enjoy.

RR

Last edited:
for reason beyond my control Im just finally getting mine started today. In primary bucket. I ordered the apple extract thanks RR

RR

Sense you used the quadberry I assume you added PE?

Sense you used the quadberry I assume you added PE?

Yes I do add PE when I put in frozen fruit. Other then that you really dont need it. My next batch I am gonna toss in a couple pounds of frozen raspberries.

RR

I pitched somewhere between 5 and 6 gallons yesterday as the maiden must in my new Brute 10 gal primary. I bought juice from Aldi's. I got 12-64 0z bottles and 8# sugar for $20.06. I added 2T tannin, some POM/blueberry and POM/cherry I had lying around about to expire. I Also inverted 5c sugar to raise the SG to 1.080. While inverting, I took an uneducated guess and tossed in 1/4c. Citric acid. The pH is now ~3.4 via test strip. Topped it off with a sachet of Montrachet yeast and am starting to see activity at the 16 hour mark. The tannins really darkened the must like a fine Northern Michigan trout stream.

Asuable straight.jpg

I just started 6 gal. This afternoon. Added 4 lbs of brown sugar and my initial SG is 1.080. Does that sound right?

That's funny Tess, I was just thinking about that silly "liquid panty remover" Captain Morgan(?) campaign earlier today. Maybe I'm wrong but I like to taste the alcohol in my drinks. Curious to know how the brown sugar works out. The darker tannin color of the batch I've got going sure makes me think of caramel apples.

BC

I already have the label for this. Stole the idea from someone else on here. lol Its almost done
PIKE_04.jpg

Hey I was thinking of dropping a Cinnamon stick in the secondary for a couple of weeks. What go ya think? I dont want it to overwhelm

What do I think? I think I'm shopping at the wrong grocery store! Seems like those that have added cinnamon sticks say to do so as you have suggested. My love for apple is ginger, vanilla and fresh lemon juice which gives a wonderful dry finish. The best thing about Apfelwein is that it's inexpensive to make with a relative neutral flavor. It's a wonderful proving ground for tweaks.

What do I think? I think I'm shopping at the wrong grocery store! Seems like those that have added cinnamon sticks say to do so as you have suggested. My love for apple is ginger, vanilla and fresh lemon juice which gives a wonderful dry finish. The best thing about Apfelwein is that it's inexpensive to make with a relative neutral flavor. It's a wonderful proving ground for tweaks.

Thats an idea. I love Ginger and lemon!! I wish I could taste what your saying lol

Latest posts

Back