Apfelwein (Hard German Apple Cider)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apfelwein stuck

Hello, It's been five days, and my apfelwein has not started fermenting. I am just wondering if I should add another yeast, or what should I do at this point? Starting SG was 1.074 and it is the same today. Not a bubble. I used the Montrachet Yeast as suggested in the recipe. If anyone can please suggest something to save it, I would greatly appreciate it. Kim

Yes, if the S.G. hasn't changed in five days, then I would throw in another yeast. I have never used Montrachet yeast (like I said in my original post a couple months ago), and I used EC 1118 which can apparently cause a rusty iron pipe to start fermenting! Seriously, if it can be fermented, EC 1118 will do it - which leads me to the only other possibility I can think of: if it's not the yeast (dead or old or weak, etc). that you used, dis the apple juice you started with have any preservatives in it that would inhibit yeast fermenting? Anything other than Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) can lead to unpredictable results on fermentation - sometimes it will ferment, sometimes it won't.

Pasteurized, no sugar added is all I see on the label. I will buy the EC1118 and try it. I followed the original recipe, but will note this for next time. Will see how it is in a few days, and post results. Thanks, Kim

Going to dump it

Added EC 1118 on Friday, 9/24. I got NOTHIN' First batch of anything that I had to dump. Not a good feeling. Going to get rid of it tomorrow.

I bottled my Apfelwein last night, 1 gal of apple juice yielded 4.5 bottles. I probably could have gotten close to a full 5 bottles if I had racked it once more before bottling, but decided I could allow that last cloudy cup or so go down the drain. I plan on testing a bottle without sweetening, one with some sugar and one warmed like a mulled wine. Any other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldYamaha
The D47 was with confectioners sugar, and was disappointed in the flavor, so I used Sweet Merlot as a blend that turned out so so, or ok.

For reference, I think the confectioners sugar has corn starch in it and is not recommended for use in wine.

Thanks John. After the taste it had, I can believe that, and it was a lesson learned. Who woulda thunk it, ask 1st about confectioners sugar:ts. However!!!! the next batch was much better, but another lesson learned was that adding apple "flavoring" isn't nearly as good as frozen concentrate and pasteurizing, which I am doing with this batch, plus adding some cinnamon stick to some of it.
Harry

Not clearing?

I started my batch of Apfelwein on 9/2/12, exactly following the directions, including using the recommended type of apple juice. It is now 2 months later, and it hasn't cleared yet. In fact, it isn't clear at all.

Should I just wait some more, or add a fining agent? if the latter, any recommendations on which one for this application?

Great Stuff!

I made this wine last month and decided to carbonate it, which I had never done before. After thorough internet research and a discussion with my LHBS guys, I decided to do it just like you would a beer. I added the priming sugar to my bottling bucket and racked the wine into it for bottling. I tested at 2 weeks and all was well with all the tiny bubbles it is supposed to have. At 4 weeks it is even better! I am still having trouble with that first sip, as it looks just like a good beer, and I suppose my brain keeps telling me that is the flavor to expect.
FWIW, I made it exactly per the recipe, and fermentation, clearing, etc. was spot on the directions.

Don't know about cote des blanc yeast - never used it, but I would expect it will be fine, since apples aren't classified by their flavor profiles the way grapes are (for fermenting purposes anyway).

I opened a bottle of my Apfelwein a couple nights ago, but it just isn't as good as a dry wine, even when chilled. The apple flavor came through, but it just had too much sour taste to it. Took the remaining 2/3 bottle, heated it on the stove with about 1/2 cup sugar, some ground cinnamon, allspice and cloves. The wife and I really enjoyed it! Was really good going down on a night when it just started getting chilly here in Dallas.

"I used EC 1118 which can apparently cause a rusty iron pipe to start fermenting!"
LMAO!

I started my batch on 9/1 using unfiltered juice and Cotes des Blancs yeast. The initial fementation went fine, except that I had trouble measuring the SG. There was so much gas that my hydrometer would drop and then immediately start rising. I racked it after a week and figured that I would just leave it alone. Now, three months later, I still have a small amount of tiny bubbles rising in the carboy. The ambient and wine temperatures have been in the mid-60s for the past ten weeks. I am still very new at this, but 90 days seems like a long time for fermentation to still be in process. I could take another reading, but since I don't have a valid number from before I don't know how much value it would bring. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I started my batch on 9/1 using unfiltered juice and Cotes des Blancs yeast. The initial fementation went fine, except that I had trouble measuring the SG. There was so much gas that my hydrometer would drop and then immediately start rising. I racked it after a week and figured that I would just leave it alone. Now, three months later, I still have a small amount of tiny bubbles rising in the carboy. The ambient and wine temperatures have been in the mid-60s for the past ten weeks. I am still very new at this, but 90 days seems like a long time for fermentation to still be in process. I could take another reading, but since I don't have a valid number from before I don't know how much value it would bring. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I would think if you were to degas the sample before you try to take a hydrometer reading it might help. I wonder if you just put the sample in an empty wine bottle and shuck it till it was gas free that might work.(just thinking out loud). Any thoughts?

RR

Seems like a reasonable and useful idea to me. I will have to keep this in mind for next time. Thanks RR!

So I am thinking of making a 5 gallon batch, but I need to know if I can store it in the original plastic bottles it came in and keep in the fridge. I do not plan for this stuff to be around long. I am going to back sweeten and drink it up with friends.

I have kept 2 batches like that, but I pasteurized them, and then added more frozen juice to back sweeten. Kept them in a steel locker in the basement, then chilled as needed, but the basement in Iowa stays around 68 or so all summer.
I sure wouldn't want to do it though if you were going to carbonate them.

OldYamaha

What is the final ABV when using this recipe? I saw someone in the thread talk about cinnamon addition earlier. Would like to try this and bottle in 1.5 L bottles. Would I overpower by dropping in a cinnamon stick in each bottle at bottling?

Iv wanted to try this. Im not sure I want a wine that taste like a beer. lol

What is the final ABV when using this recipe? I saw someone in the thread talk about cinnamon addition earlier. Would like to try this and bottle in 1.5 L bottles. Would I overpower by dropping in a cinnamon stick in each bottle at bottling?

I make this all the time. I think I am on batch 6 for the year. The ABV turns out around 8%.

Iv wanted to try this. Im not sure I want a wine that taste like a beer. lol

Really doesnt taste like beer. Tastes very good. Drinkable in 60days. Just gets better the longer it sits.

RR

I make this all the time. I think I am on batch 6 for the year. The ABV turns out around 8%.

Really doesnt taste like beer. Tastes very good. Drinkable in 60days. Just gets better the longer it sits.

RR

OK you convinced me. I will try it for sure:try. I cant remember where I read it taste like a cross between apple wine and beer. :d

Latest posts

Back