Apfelwein (Hard German Apple Cider)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had used "Simply Apple" which is a cloudy apple juice when I made mine last Fall, it is still somewhat cloudy. I've used Sparkalloid which cleared in a little, and a few weeks ago I added Pectic enzyme, which also cleared it a little as well. I have the feeling it won't be completely cleared when I go to bottle it this summer, and I'm ok with that! :)

I had used "Simply Apple" which is a cloudy apple juice when I made mine last Fall, it is still somewhat cloudy. I've used Sparkalloid which cleared in a little, and a few weeks ago I added Pectic enzyme, which also cleared it a little as well. I have the feeling it won't be completely cleared when I go to bottle it this summer, and I'm ok with that! :)

So you are waiting 9 months to bottle? Could you inform me how often you would rack in that time period?

Sorry! I didn't see the reply. I rack it about once a month or so, they is usually a small film of sediment on it at that time. Mine tastes like apple pie! I may have overdone it a little on the cinnamon sticks, but my hubby and I love it!

I think I am actually going to keg this one for the fall so that it is carbonated. It definitely is strong, but you can't even tell! It goes down really smoothly. It could be dangerous! :p

Sorry! I didn't see the reply. I rack it about once a month or so, they is usually a small film of sediment on it at that time. Mine tastes like apple pie! I may have overdone it a little on the cinnamon sticks, but my hubby and I love it!

I think I am actually going to keg this one for the fall so that it is carbonated. It definitely is strong, but you can't even tell! It goes down really smoothly. It could be dangerous! :p

:b Ooooh with Cinnamon Sticks .........sounds lovely...thanks for reply.

I'm planning on doing this Apfelwein in a couple weeks. I have a EC-1118 yeast packet on hand - any reason I can't use that instead of Montrachet as the recipe calls for? I have never used Montrachet, and don't know what the relative advantages/disadvantages are. Thanks for the input.

I'm planning on doing this Apfelwein in a couple weeks. I have a EC-1118 yeast packet on hand - any reason I can't use that instead of Montrachet as the recipe calls for? I have never used Montrachet, and don't know what the relative advantages/disadvantages are. Thanks for the input.
I have used both Lavlin D47, and EC1118. The D47 was with confectioners sugar, and was disappointed in the flavor, so I used Sweet Merlot as a blend that turned out so so, or ok. (waste not...) and 3 versions with EC1118. Both had very small heads, and went quite dry(.996-.994)
My latest batch I started in March, and is now very clear and at .996. I kind of forgot that it was there, so I'll try to carbonate some of that and 1/2 batch of my latest skeeter pee(also with EC1118)
Harry

I have started my Apfelwein, but only a 1 gal batch to see how we like it. I used the EC 1118 I had on hand, but added about 2/3 cup sugar instead of the 2 pounds the recipe calls for (for 5 gallons). My S.G. was 1.060, so I expect the finished ABV to be around 9%.

I have started my Apfelwein, but only a 1 gal batch to see how we like it. I used the EC 1118 I had on hand, but added about 2/3 cup sugar instead of the 2 pounds the recipe calls for (for 5 gallons). My S.G. was 1.060, so I expect the finished ABV to be around 9%.

Did you get a chance to try my apple cider at the meeting last week? It was a similar recipe with a starting SG of 1.062 that I fermented dry and backsweetened to 1.013. Next time I'll raise the ABV and try a sweetness of about 1.010 but its amazing as is.

The D47 was with confectioners sugar, and was disappointed in the flavor, so I used Sweet Merlot as a blend that turned out so so, or ok.

For reference, I think the confectioners sugar has corn starch in it and is not recommended for use in wine.

Did you get a chance to try my apple cider at the meeting last week? It was a similar recipe with a starting SG of 1.062 that I fermented dry and backsweetened to 1.013. Next time I'll raise the ABV and try a sweetness of about 1.010 but its amazing as is.

I guess I have been making a version of this as apple wine. This recipe got me started with the apple juice wine which I like pretty good.

No, I didn't. I arrived late, as we had been out of town and only got home around the time of the meeting's start. I tried a bunch of different whites, but don't believe it I tried any apple wine.

My kids are hoping what I am making will end up sweet with a low alcohol level so they can have some in the winter. I plan on testing it warmed, outside by the firepit in the fall (maybe three months or so from now). It seems to be fermenting fairly normally - I have stirred it each day to keep the cinnamon, ground cloves and sugar mixed up into the juice. If it turns out good, I will have found a really cheap 'wine' - only $3.63/gallon for the juice (plus corks and yeast, another ~$1.50)! If it yields 5 full bottles from the 1 gal I started with, I will have invested just over $1 per bottle total.

Not fermenting

I just started a batch of this 2 days ago and it is fermenting like crazy. It has the whole room smelling good. Can't wait to try it. I'll try to keep everyone updated on it. Thanks Smurfe for sharing the recipe, John.

Hello, I started this recipe three days ago, and nothing. Not even a bubble. Should I be concerned at this point? Should I be doing anything to move the process along?:ft

I wouldn't sweat it. My Apfelwein didn't really take off for a few days and never got very active. It did definitely ferment though, over a week to 10 days' time. What yeast did you use?

Bart, I used the Montrachet wine yeast indicated in the recipe. Still no bubbling as of today. Thoughts? Kim

Latest posts

Back