Apfelwein (Hard German Apple Cider)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick update on my cranberry apple cider.... Turned out a lovely refreshing and crisp sparkling cider. It was a tad on the dry side though like a champagne because I didn't backsweeten to avoid too much pressure in the bottles. Hubby bottled it for me one day when I was away. Opened a bottle over the holidays and a nice fizz to it. We bottled in 2 liter pop bottles primed with 1tbsp sugar. Here's what it looked like in the glass I should have poured it into a champagne flute for fun!

image-3328828784.jpg

Yes it was fun doing two different styles. Husband did straight apple mixing sweeter apples with crabapples and I stole 3 gals of his to play with and add the cranberry I liked the end result!

My apfelwein made from cider is now very clear so I could bottle it. I prefer clear wine. It does not seem to have a lot of apple flavor, and perhaps too much cinnamon flavor. I had one small stick of cinnamon in the primary for a week. I am thinking of backsweetening to about 1.010 or 1.015. Does that sound about right and will that cause the flavor of the apple to come out more? Or does this just need more aging for the flavors to come out. Yeast was pitched on 10/12/13?

Does 5 -6 cups sugar sound right for raising from .994 to 1.015? Or do you think I would be better off adding frozen apple juice concentrate to sweeten? However if that apple juice has pulp, I'll probably have to go a couple more months of aging to clear.
Thanks

Last edited:
I did a 3 gallon batch of apfelwein a while back and I still have some bottles that have been sitting in the cabinet. It was the first wine I ever attempted and I am sure I did something wrong because it really just was not very good.

I let it sit in primary fermentation for about 6 months (never racked it off) and I left way too much air space in the carboy. When I finally bottled it, it had no flavor at all. After a year and a half it smells like apples when I open it, but has NO flavor. Completely bland and not worth drinking.

So, out of curiosity, is it the oxygen that probably killed the flavor? I have been making some other fruit wines and I want to make sure I don't repeat the same mistake.

I did a 3 gallon batch of apfelwein a while back and I still have some bottles that have been sitting in the cabinet. It was the first wine I ever attempted and I am sure I did something wrong because it really just was not very good.

I let it sit in primary fermentation for about 6 months (never racked it off) and I left way too much air space in the carboy. When I finally bottled it, it had no flavor at all. After a year and a half it smells like apples when I open it, but has NO flavor. Completely bland and not worth drinking.

So, out of curiosity, is it the oxygen that probably killed the flavor? I have been making some other fruit wines and I want to make sure I don't repeat the same mistake.

Apfelwein is somewhat subtle in flavor and pretty dry. It tastes vastly better if it is carbonated.

Thanks for sharing this! I just put 5 gallons of it to bed this morning. I used Champagne yeast per a suggestion on YouTube but otherwise followed your directions. Any thoughts on the use of Champagne yeast here? I am the greenest of newbies at this.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Started this a few days back. Followed Eds directions to the T. It's giving off a strong sulfur smell. I'm a noon but did some research and added some yeast nutrient and energizer. Did I jump the gun? Is this normal with y'all's apfelwiens?

Cheers

Good Morning and thank you for all the information in this thread and of course the wonderful recipe. The first batch I made, I back sweetened with splenda and keg carbed (it turned out great). My current 6 gallon batch I thought I would stabilize with 1/4 teaspoon Potassium Metabisulfite and 3 teaspoons Potassium Sorbate then back sweeten with 4 cups of regular sugar (simple syrup) and eventually keg carb. So yesterday I did just that and popped the airlock back on and this morning I have some bubbling (maybe one bubble every minute or two). What do I do now? Add more Potassium Metabisulfite and/or more Potassium Sorbate? If so, how much of each? Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

I make it with farm fresh pasteurized sweet apple cider and as much as 3lb/gal raw cane sugar and ferment to .998

I made a version of this using Hansen's brand all natural apple strawberry juice. It has a very subtle taste, hardly any strawberry flavor coming through. Any foreseeable problem with adding a little strawberry extract to bring the berry flavor forward?

I'd like to try making this recipe - but after reading the whole thread, I have some questions. Since there is a lot of experience making this here, maybe someone can help me with the answers.

1. I would like to make mine carbonated like the Hard Cider I purchase at the local cidery -- can this be done and still bottle it for extended periods (like the 2 years some have suggested?
2. How do you carbonate? I am not a beer drinker, so have never done brewing...
3. What size bottles do you use? I have 375mL and 187mL bottles, and was thinking the 187mL/single serve bottles would be good for something like this
4. Do you cork your bottles or use crimp tops like beer? My concern is the carbonation with the corked bottles, and with the 187mL bottles would acrimp top work better (again, like beer bottles)

After I find success with the first batch, I will look to add cinnimon or other fruit flavors and how to do that best, but first steps first.

Thanks in advance for any answers....

My experience:

1. I seed my bottles with a bit of sugar. It ferments in the bottle and carbonates it. You do get a bit of lees as a result. One guy in town here goes through the whole champagne method of sparking to avoid it. Too much work for me. Unfortunately, mine never lasts a couple of years, :ib, but after a year it is still good.
2. See above, you can also CO2 charge if you have the right stuff. I just go the easy way.
3. & 4, I use the clip top bottles, either reused from commercial ciders I seek out or new. They are made to handle the carbonation and pretty cheap.

Go for it. I've been experimenting with adding crab apples. Gives tannins and a bit of color.

A little lees wouldnt be too bad. They also have these carbonation pellets at the lhbs near me. Not sure yet what they do?

Cheers!
-jb

jburtner - I am guessing they fizz something like an alka-seltzer tablet. I was reading the instructions for one of the commercial hard cider kits and it talked about adding a tablet to the bottle. I didn't realize you could purchase tablets outside of kits.

I really need to visit the LHBS (the one I had been going to closed, so I have to make a special trip to the next nearest one) and get something started :tz

Back