Apfelwein (Hard German Apple Cider)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should probably reserve judgment on taste. I have cold and that is probably affecting taste.

Mine is dry now. I plan to rack tomorrow. It was very vigorous through yesterday. I do not think much of the taste at this point fully carbonated and not cleared. But wines generally do not taste good at this point. I can't really taste much apple taste. I plan to back sweeten with some apple juice concentrate so that should add some flavor back.

I freaked out at the taste when I first tasted it. I should have let some go as it was and then worked on the rest. I am curious about how it would have turned out had I just back sweetened a bit and let age. I tasted no apple either. tasted like beer to me. I used the extract. Half a bottle :) that might come back and bite me in the butt later but Im curious about that too so we shall see. Either way It will make a great wine for cooking pork!!

Racked mine today. Mine was from cider not apple juice so that may make it a bit different, but there was a lot fine lees and orange colored pulp on the sides of the bucket from the vigorous ferment. I thought it smelled better today. It will be interesting to see this clear ad see what it is like in a few months. I added one cinnamon stick to the ferment. Hopefully that is not too much in the end product.

Tess, how many cloves did you add and for how long? I would think that would go well with the cinnamon.

Racked mine today. Mine was from cider not apple juice so that may make it a bit different, but there was a lot fine lees and orange colored pulp on the sides of the bucket from the vigorous ferment. I thought it smelled better today. It will be interesting to see this clear ad see what it is like in a few months. I added one cinnamon stick to the ferment. Hopefully that is not too much in the end product.

Tess, how many cloves did you add and for how long? I would think that would go well with the cinnamon.

I tossed in about 10 but only for a couple days.

Just went down to taste and rack back to carboy. Derunner, if i had it to do all over again I would have maybe added 5 for two days. The cloves really do over power. This may wind up being my Sasquatch :)

Just started a 6 gallon batch after reading so much about it. The OG was lower than I had expected, 1.062 but I'm sure it will be fine. Looking forward to having this in a few months.

Mine is still stuck, wont clear. I have tried everything. I will let in set in the carboy for 6 month to see what happens.
Im curious. Im gonna put it in Jars and put this label on it. Its got a gotta flavor. Spicy with plenty of apple. Im gonna wrack it, taste it in a few months. Maybe top it off with ever clear. I found my Sasquatch lol You will either drink it or use it as a good pork marinade or both. taste a lot like apple pie
moonshine anyway

AveryDesignampPrintOnline7-1.png

Derunner, two clovers per 5 gallon of wine and you can leave it in for a couple of months. Taste the wine a month later to see how it is, I believe I left mine in for two months. Another spice you could us is a chunk of ginger.

How many did you use Julie? Mine was just in there a few days and its totally over cloved at this point but Im letting it set for 6 months to see what it does.

I racked off the raisins and doing so moved from a 6 to a 5 gallon carboy. I had about a half of a gallon of overage which I degassed by shaking and gave a taste after refrigerating. The 3T of acid really makes a nice change over the bland store bought apple juice flavor. It's crisp and dry and tastes like cider. I'm happy with the early results.

I racked off the raisins and doing so moved from a 6 to a 5 gallon carboy. I had about a half of a gallon of overage which I degassed by shaking and gave a taste after refrigerating. The 3T of acid really makes a nice change over the bland store bought apple juice flavor. It's crisp and dry and tastes like cider. I'm happy with the early results.

Acid blend or straight malic acid?

I do have to admit that after racking I found three cloves still in the bottom. They had been there for a month at least, but just three. Still its over cloved. I love cloves but if I had it to do all over again I might have put two to three for a a week or so. In the end its all about taste and what u like

Last edited:
Acid blend or straight malic acid?

I like mine very tart so I put in ~3 tbls tartaric acid, I am sure you could use acid blend instead. Go by taste. Start with 2tbls and taste, then add 1tsp at a time till you get the tartness you like.

RR

Region, after redoing the math, I actually put in 4T (1/4c) of citric acid. It's amazing how it has mellowed from a frank citrus taste to a nice acid tartness. My LHBS does not sell tartric acid only citric or citric/malic blend. I think they are anti-tartrites!

Anyway in all my referment glory, I will mix this 5 gal with another 5 gal apfelwein that has started referment. The referment had been spiked with a joeswine fresh lemon juice idea along with some ginger. The initial blendings suggest dry, crisp and oh so delish!

I like mine very tart so I put in ~3 tbls tartaric acid, I am sure you could use acid blend instead. Go by taste. Start with 2tbls and taste, then add 1tsp at a time till you get the tartness you like.

RR

I was thinking straight malic acid, since it is found in apples to begin with.

Mine is a reddish color right now where is that coming from? :)

Back