Apfelwein and MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvolf34

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has made Apfelwein and if you tried MLF. If not would this be a good canidate for MLF.

Apfelwein
5 Gal tree Top Apple Juice (has citric acid)
2 # dextrose
1 packet of Montracht yeast

Thats all there is to the recipe. Pitch it and let it sit in a carboy, no racking. Should clear in about 5 weeks.

I have not. I usually only do it on big reds.

I was just wondering because I read about apples having a high amount of malic acid and it might be good for them. I do believe there is a apple wine recipe on this site about that, but it was with fresh juice. I will see if I can dig that thread up.

Reading on Jack Kellers site he says it is good, I myself was thinking of trying it nest year.

thanks for the information bob1. I can't get on that site from work :(

I wouldnt do a MLF on an apple wine. It is higher in malic acid then most fruits but apple wine doesnt have enough body and it may loose its fruity flavor due to this fermentation. The process of MLf will usually bring out a buttery taste to it usually associated in Chardonnays. It ca also bring forward an off flavor somewhat to cured meat in white wines lacking on enough body. Id keep MLF to big reds, Chards and maybe a Blackberry wine.

thanks for the heads up on that... I might try it on a different batch one day to test it out. A 5 gal batch cost me about $23.00 in supplies... So I think a 3 gal batch would be about $15.00... thats what I like about home brewing, the sky is the limit. If it turns out bad, well scrub that one from the books!

yes, just wait until you have a good supply built up before playing around with possible losses.

Sounds like solid advice!! Right now I have 15 gallons going? Should I hold out or try a little apple experiment?

Latest posts

Back