Anyone want to swap some bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globalnavigator

Reaction score
I'd be into shipping 3 assorted bottles to anyone for 3 of their finished red kit product that's different than mine. People on this forum have stated it's okay to ship "steak marinade" through the mail, so here's a list of my available steak marinades:

RJS Super Tuscan with BM4x4 yeast - bottled 9/1/16
Winexpert Forza - bottled 11/28/15
Eclipse Ranch 11 Lodi Cab Sav - bottled 11/25/16
Eclipse OVZ - bottled 2/10/16
Winexpert LE15 Mosaic Red - bottled 6/18/16

There are others that I've made with tweaks if you are interested in hearing about those, but these are the ones I made according to directions.

Let me know what you've got!

(I'm in the Raleigh area if you're close by.)

Fed ex actually isn't a good option apparently. I can't say for sure. But I did happen to see this when looking at winemakers magezine's contest rules.
View attachment 44545
No one pays attention to any of that legalese nonsense, whether shipping UPS, Fed Ex, or USPS. The bottom line (having spent many years in shipping and receiving) is UPS can and will break an anvil, USPS is a government subsidized joke, leaving Fed Ex as the only viable alternative. Our UPS pick-up driver doesn't ship his personal stuff via UPS, neither do I, having witnessed the carnage first hand. FWIW take note of who most electronics distributors use for shipping, and also how most wine kits are shipped...

Nooo. It's not! People send bottles all the time. Just gotta pack em right and not dime yourself out to the Man.
I guess everyone has their own preference of fedEx or Ups. But FedEx seems like to go-to.
I think your idea is great. And if I could make a comparable trade I would. But I've only recently decided to age em longer.
I'm actually about to send a bottle for the 1st time (at almost 1 yr.) and was interested to know the best service to use too.
Please disregard that winemaker mag pic. I'm going to use FedEx. @Brian55 sounds very convincing with 1st hand knowledge.

Last edited:
From https://www.wineinstitute.org/initiatives/stateshippinglaws/faqs#9

Is it okay for a private individual to ship wine?
No, it is never legal for an individual to ship wine. The US Postal services will not carry alcohol under any circumstances. Both FedEx and UPS have company policies that strictly prohibit accepting alcohol shipments from individuals for delivery. These rules are based on their requirement that only entities who have signed a “wine shippers agreement”, which has special provisions regarding liability and packaging requirements as well as reporting components for deliveries into the other states. These agreements are only available to licensed alcohol retailers and wineries themselves. A primary reason for this is also the special handling and adult signature requirements that are required for alcohol deliveries. The goal is to avoid any possibility of a package being delivered into the hands of a minor. Packages shipped under the wine agreements have to meet rigorous labeling standards, and cannot be handled in the normal default manner of other packages (i.e. adult signature (over 21 years of age) is required for delivery, there can be no signature waiver, and packages cannot be left even with a consumer signature request – the delivery must be made in person so ID can be checked.) Most states do NOT allow shipments from individuals to enter their state – regardless of these rules though, the carriers do not make such shipments.

Well I'm still sending FedEx within a day or 2. Usually they won't even ask. (I haven't ever been asked before).
But apparently if they do they just want to know if it's dangerous or perishable.
"A gift of rare & expensive Steak marinade" sounds good to me. "None of your business" might not go over well.
--if they ask.

Well I'm still sending FedEx within a day or 2. Usually they won't even ask. (I haven't ever been asked before).
But apparently if they do they just want to know if it's dangerous or perishable.
"A gift of rare & expensive Steak marinade" sounds good to me. "None of your business" might not go over well.
--if they ask.
Print your own shipping label at home and simply drop the package off at your nearest pick-up location. No questions asked. Regardless of which company you choose to ship through, make sure it's very well packed.

Print your own shipping label at home and simply drop the package off at your nearest pick-up location. No questions asked. Regardless of which company you choose to ship through, make sure it's very well packed.

Speak of the devil! I was just about to post this. Just saw it and surprised i hadn't thought to use it prior. IMG_8427.jpgIMG_8430.jpg
Both inside and outside openings measure a little better than 9"x20". Get Appropriate boxes you'll be money.

(That door is spring loaded. Dropped my damn phone in there while setting up the tape measure. I was able to fish it out but I'm sure looked like quite the stunod!)

Speak of the devil! I was just about to post this. Just saw it and surprised i hadn't thought to use it prior. View attachment 44580View attachment 44581
Both inside and outside openings measure a little better than 9"x20". Get Appropriate boxes you'll be money.

(That door is spring loaded. Dropped my damn phone in there while setting up the tape measure. I was able to fish it out but I'm sure looked like quite the stunod!)
You can drop it at any FedEx or UPS store with a pre-printed label, and the only question you'll get asked is "would you like a receipt?".

You can drop it at any FedEx or UPS store with a pre-printed label, and the only question you'll get asked is "would you like a receipt?".
I guess I'm fortunate. I pay and print the label online using my personal account, not work (I could imagine trying to explain that one...what is the job number...123bottles/o'wine), then take it to our shipping area in our building (at work). Never have had an issue so far. I just use a ton of bubble wrap and make sure the bottles are enclosed within a sealed plastic bag, then more bubble wrap.

Latest posts

Back